Electrical panel inspection turning off main

Hello, does anyone ever turn off the main power to the house before opening the panel. I thought it may be a good idea since I keep running into dum issues that are very dangerous. Look at picture. The connections are just laying there .

That is factory welding does need a plastic cover though.

2 Likes

I agree with Timothy those are factory welded connections. Barriers on line side terminals was added in a recent version (2017) of the NEC. It’s hard to tell from the narrow scope of the photo if what’s visible is on the line or load side.

2 Likes

Best practice would be to leave it on if possible, especially if the home is occupied. There is some risk involved with opening a live panel, but remember, the SOP does not require it.

2 Likes

the connections are soldered into place, they are not just laying there. they are permanently connected.

I would never turn off the power to an occupied home without explicit written permission from the sellers.

Unless you want to pay for claims of damages/loss of data to computers and other electronics and medical devices….

Take all of the precautions possible before opening a panel and use the dead front cover as a shield when you open it. The magnetic door handles you can get are great for added safety.

1 Like

For me personally, I do not flip breakers on or off. I will report any in the off position.

I remove panels only when I feel safe to do so. As previously stated, it is not required.

These are situations when I will not remove a panel:

1. Obstructions
  2. Possible or apparent sharp tipped panel fasteners.
  3. If I am required to stand on a ladder or stool.
  4. Other dangerous conditions exist such as water etc.
  5. The panel cover is too large for me to safely handle or control (not often found in residential)
  6. Pro-tip: Touch the panel with the back of your right hand 1st before proceeding.

Stay safe. Panel questions are almost always helpful for us that are not electricians.

2 Likes

Although they are not in our scope , Florida is require them for the 4 point inspections

1 Like

Maryland HI SOP requires inspection of panel interior components. I have disclaimed a few due to unsafe working conditions. If you do that make sure you include your reasoning in the report.

2 Likes