Electrical problems in the bedroom?

Noticed that this bedroom AFCI breaker was running a little hot. I asked the current homeowner if they have any issues with the bedroom outlets. Stated that it’ll trip when they use the iron. Went to the bedroom and found this gem. Recommended correction :rofl:

Curious, what correction did you recommend?

1 Like

Basically if possible, to remove some of the devices from this single outlet including the power strip.

A fire waiting to happen… :unamused:

2 Likes

GM Larry. The current homeowner responded with, “I know, I know” as if he knew that he had too much stuff plugged in. When he saw the FLIR image, it put it into a whole new perspective and started unplugging stuff almost immediately.

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong or too much stuff plugged in. All I see are few watt electronics, few chargers, music player – typical computer room setup. You can safely load a circuit 80% So unless I knew for sure it was more than that I would just explain verbally how things work to the client. Plugging in a clothes iron (1700watt) pushes 15amp circuit to its limit, so that is obvious and expected if you’re going to have all those extra things plugged in. Simply iron in a different room or off of a different circuit.

Remember, AFCI breakers will run warm without any load on the circuit. 80F is not a cause for a concern.

9 Likes

Hey Simon. I agree with all of that, but keep in mind that this was just one outlet in the bedroom. There was another that had a TV, playstation, stereo equipment etc. Additionally, The breaker below this one was also an AFCI in a guest bedroom that was nowhere as “hot” as this one. Either way, I decided to let the homeowner know and let them make the call.

I agree with Simon I would not call that circuit overloaded.

2 Likes

Certainly it would be great if they had additional outlets for all of the electronics that were plugged in, but you might want to know what the normal, above normal and dangerous operating temperatures of different equipment are so that when calling out something as dangerous it really is dangerous. According to Eaton - their breakers operate between 80 -120 degrees. If you have a thermal camera you might want to learn how to use it.

4 Likes

Aren’t you guys all rays of sunshine. I never told them that their house was gonna burn to the ground at the count of 5 or even told them that their “circuit was overloaded”. I just told them, "hey you may want to consider unplugging a few things. I know how to use a thermal camera. It was a mere observation and just decided to share a recent experience. Good grief.

Victor welcome! Hope you stay around.
However, the thermal pic does not show a hot breaker/connection.

3 Likes

As I responded to Simon, I agree that the breaker was within temp limits. I get that. I was trying to share a recent experience and not to have all of the electrical engineers pound it home. It was just an observation in which a simple recommendation was offered. I just started in these forums and for the most part it’s all doom and gloom. Too uptight in here for my blood

2 Likes

Victor, you can do whatever you wish with your inspections, we’re not here to dictate the protocol to you. However, when you make posts such as the one you did, there are other, newbie home inspectors, that frequent and learn from the forum. The goal here is not to pound anything, the goal is to explain to others that are lurking what is what so that incorrect information, if any, does not propagate and get folks in trouble.

4 Likes

Good call Victor. You made the client aware of a potentially dangerous practice. I am sure he appreciated it. Constantly tripping the OCPD will significantly shorten its lifespan. You may have saved them the cost of replacing it when it doesn’t reset.

1 Like

Thaaaaaank you Bob. That’s ALL I was trying to say!!! :laughing:

vr
what is your thermography & electrical background
w/o the cover removed, actual amp load knowledge of the circuit in question & image tuning you’re blowing smoke up this & prolly other client’s skirt & once someone catches on you may be liable for fees far beyond your’s
best get your game together or you could be opposing an expert witness explaining yourself

for those that encourage blatant ineptitude keep on feeding the shark tank

2 Likes

Be nice. I had to chuckle myself.
Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter circuit breakers normally run warmer than circuit breakers. As well as dimmer switches.
This is normal, there’s nothing to report here.

I doubt he would become expert witness to an event like this. The IR app would likely go down as historical reference as what not to bring to court.

Victor, if you read what you wrote it sounds as if you thought that the Flir image showed something dangerous which is false. If you post here expect feedback, we don’t always agree but this forum is a great source of information.

7 Likes

Afternoon, Victor.
Hope this post finds you well.

Be the outlet adaptor overloaded with connections or not, does not proved and useable circuit reference in your report, except to prove the breaker functions when overloaded says the home owner. Hear say at best.
Don’t operate or overload breakers.

I explain, 6 post outlet adaptors can be fire hazards, to any one attending.
They will likely be removed once the prospective seller vacates the home. If not toss them in the ben.

The same logic would apply if the home owner adding a 8 port manifold on the hose bib and say the water flow is low when operating 8 hoses for different water functions. Lol.

As for AFCI breakers, they run warm.

Most feedback you are getting and will get has to do with that thermal image.

1. AFCI’s do run warmer than standard breakers (so do GFCI’s)
  2. 80 degree F is not high for a molded case circuit breaker (10 degree F rise over 70 degree F ambient) If you check amperage you will understand much more about that circuit.

Victor, there may be an overload condition that trips a breaker. In that case, look into it and advise as necessary. However, the thermal image does not in any way support the claim that the circuit is overloaded. Not the picture in your post anyway. If you want to use thermal imaging in your business, at the very least do the InterNACHI course. If you already have done so, great! Then I would encourage you to do further education through Infraspection, ITC, Snell, or Monroe Infrared. People on here mention expert witnesses and such. This is more to warn you of the potential liability if you further use IR without proper training, especially with electrical. If you scan electrical, especially quantitatively, you should get a level 2 certification.

2 Likes