Electrical progression

Here are pics. from 2days inspection. Pic 1 is the knife/fuse disconnect. Pic 2 shows how the set up looks in the garage. Pic 3 is the panel under the main knife disconnect. Pic 4 is the panel in the home. There is no grounding wire?
The feed coming out the the top of the knife disconnect feeds pic. 4. There is no bonding in either panel.
All commits welcome. Thanks
1.JPG

3.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

Main Comment…Defer for review by a licensed Electrical Contractor which I am sure you have done…:wink:

Paul
I respect you and try to learn and retain the things I see on here that you have responded to, can you, and your own words explain what you see in the pics. I am not a electrician by trade so keep it simple.
Thanks

Coming out of the top of the disconnect…is that a conduit or SE cable feeding the house panel?

Jeff

There is a rule with some insurance companies that is, if there is more than two electrical panels/boxes in one area than an upgrade is required. I have learned to always tell the client on a system like this is to make sure the insurance company takes a picture of the panels before closing so they do not come back 30 days later and say you need an upgrade to retain insurance with them. Also make sure your contract says something about you do not inspect for local, state, federal codes and insurability.
Yes, if I understand you right, all systems need to be bonded to the earth in some proper way.

Jeff W
Yes that is the SE feeding the house panel.

If it was pipe, I probably would have let it go as being grounded using the EMT as a EGC. Since it’s SE, the panel needs a separate gorunding conductor.

Jeff

Picture #1- I have no problems with a fused disconnection means provided the fusing is correct. However, I can’t see inside the disconnect and it appears it is feeding multiple panels from inside. If they are trying to apply tap rules let say to do this application I would question are they actually tapping a feeder or double tapping a lug to achieve this setup. While their is GREAT debate on feeder taps rules and some believe the tap rules apply to the lug on the load side the same as it would a feeder conductor in applying these rules…the NFPA feels differently and I have a interp. from them clearly saying this… Most importantly I don’t see a Grounding Electrode Conductor to an Electrode from the Service Disconnection Means…it could be in the meter or the mast head neutral connection but I dont see it here so I would call that out. Also I would question the service side bonding here…I can’t see it so I can’t comment on it but lets just say the offset nipple is not good enough depending on the knockout design and so on…see 250.94 for more details…

Picture # 2 -Improper labeling of the panel shown below the disconnection means. Might question the neutral size but alas I dont know the sizes we are dealing with here.

Picture # 3- Appears some cables are not secured properly ( 334.30 ), neutral looks small but may be fine-Depends on the load. I would need more conductor sizes to verify this and comment on it so I wont. Also not sure but it appears to be a KO missing on the upper right side of the enclosure. I do have a question about the metal TAB just above the 2-pole breaker as from this angle it appears to be touching the ungrounded terminal lug…but again this angle may be misleading on that.

Picture # 4- If based on what you say, the cable shown is from the fused disconnet and it would need (4) conductros. I will assume it is an attached garage and ignore any exceptions that are present in 250.32 regarding this application. You show an improper Case to Neutral connection downstream of the main disconnection means which creates objectionable currents and so that can be very dangersous and basically why we are not allowed to do it in the first place.

Other issues I randomly see in Picture 4 is no connectors on cables entries, probably not a well labeled panel cover either if at all labeled and so on. After about about 2-3 issues defer it and wash your hands of it…you have done this client a JUST service in making them aware of it…GREAT JOB!!!

The knive diconnect has two 100amp fuses. Would that be consider a 200amp disconnect?

I would think if it had (2) 100 A fuses that it would be a 100A Service Disconnect. But you have to look at all the other factors to nail it down. Size of the SE Conductors, Enclosure Rating and so on.

The meter enclosure also looks like it may be a 100A sized enclosure…could be a 125A enclosure as well…but probably only 100A due to the smaller bend radius in the appearance.