Electrical receptacle inspection

Good morning to all my fellows, this is Patrick with American Home Inspectors. https://www.americanhomeinspectors.net/
Working on master class homework: GFCI and electric receptacles.

Upon inspection of the electrical outlets in the half bath. I observed a defect at the GFCI in the bathroom. It was improperly wired. The hot and neutral wires are reversed. This has the potential to be a hazard and cause a fire. Evaluation and immediate correction buy a license qualified electrician is recommended.

1 Like

Poor clearance from mirror.

1 Like

Do homework assignments go in this section? Also wondering how a reversed polarity would cause a fire.

2 Likes

Reversed Polarity Outlets - Structure Tech Home Inspections

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback, the article was very helpful Neil and gave me two great scenarios under my belt!
And I realize now, moving forward I will use shock hazard rather than fire hazard. Noted. Thank you!

2 Likes

I like to keep things short and simple.

Receptacle tested reverse polarity.

FYI- The GFCI device can still function with reverse polarity or open ground.
If the Receptacle tested open ground and has a sticker attached to it stating “NO EQUIPMENT GROUND” it is not a defect, without the sticker, it is.

I would keep from stating the receptacle itself was improperly wired, as it could be a problem upstream.

2 Likes

That must be a very old GFCI receptacle because all of ones manufactured in the last decade or so will not energize if they’re wired with the hot and neutral reversed.

3 Likes

I have a few of the Red & Black buttons left in my house, from the mid 90’s, not sure if they still make them or not.

Yes, they still make red and black button GFCIs, so not an indication of age. The uniform-color variety are now just much more popular.

2 Likes