Electrical test equiment advice

Originally Posted By: jacaron
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I use the three prong Sperry tester. This tester checks for open ground, Hot/Neutral reverse , open neutral, open hot & hot & ground reverse. So far good. Although, lately ran into some discrepancies with the reading of open ground and hot/Neutral reverse. Is there any better or more reliable piece of equipment at a reasonable price that can do the job. I’m looking at the SureTest, however there are several types. Please advise?

Originally Posted By: jpope

SureTest #61-155 is what you need. I also carry a couple of the three-light testers as the SureTest does not indicate under a couple conditions.

I have learned through experience that the three-light testers are not accurate and can give improper readings.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

The best way to describe a “failing” test is that there is something wrong. Simple testers will just give you a guess about what is wrong. If there is an open neutral conductor you will see strange things depending if there is a down stream load or not. Your tester will see the hot coming back down the neutral from the far end. For your purposes it is best to just say there is a problem, not trying to diagnose it.