Electrical unknown

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/atticunknownelectric1.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/atticunknownelectric2.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/atticunknownelectric3.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Russel,

Was there an electric fence on the property?

Originally Posted By: rray

No, but there could have been years ago, I guess. It was a 1944 house.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Russel,

Not saying that it is, but it does remind me of hook-ups utilized in the past for electrical fences. Without being there and actually tracing the lines and testing for power, etc. I like you can only guess. Sounds like it's time for an electrical contractor to check and trace.

P.S. Old timer's use to do these type of rigged hook-ups and place them in out of the way locations because electric fences had a tendency to blow the old fuses all the time. You can only imagine what they did to bypass the fuses, etc. to satisfy their needs for constant power to the fences. My interest is peaked on this. Let me know what the final outcome is, if it ever is determined.

Originally Posted By: Guest

John,

The fencer units didn't blow house fuses, but they were susceptible to lightning strikes given the fact the fence systems were grounded and there were literally miles of wire that could be hit. Those resistor blocks were there to protect the home from lightning strikes on the fence (or a lightning strike to a rod on the structure) damaging the wiring. Fences weren't the only reason they were installed but you're right that they were used in fencing systems.

Given the fact that this one's in the attic and the logical place for it if it were for fencing would be at or near the fence charger, I'd guess this one was in place to protect the house's electrical system from a direct hit.

Fence chargers require very little electricity, typically below .06 amps. I've never seen one that draws more than .5 amps. The energy is transformed and rectified from household voltages or from 12 volt DC sources and delivered to the fence at micro amp ratings in the 30,000 to 50,000 volt range.

Originally Posted By: cbuell

I am pretty sure it is for the phone

It is easier to change direction than it is to forget where one has been.

Originally Posted By: Guest

Hi Charles…

They used these frequently in phone systems as well.

Originally Posted By: rsmith6

Looks like Cat 1 voice line coming off the top. I too go with phone.

Originally Posted By: A Faxon

Russell, nice pics. I have not seen one of those blocks in a long time. Looking at your photos I agree will the other members it is an old phone co. entrance point. They used to enter the house near their point of attachment and locate the fuse block in the attic. I can’t see phone guys crawling in an attic these days.

Originally Posted By: rlind

Russel,

I agree with the telephone theory.
I have one of those contraptions sitting unused in the basement of my circa 1916 house.

It indeed is located directly below the spot where the telephone lines enter the house...

Ron

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

I would say they are fusible links for the phone system in case of lightning strikes or other over current problems.

Originally Posted By: wpedley

I agree with Dave Smith,

I've seen these a few times in old farm houses in Virginia and
also here in Pa. Also my Dad is retired from the Bell Telephone Co.
and he says it was for a phone system also.

--
BPedley
Inspecting for the unexpected