Electrician responds

Steve,

Contractors buy panels in large enough quantities that they get substantial discounts. Most residential electrical services around here (and probably where you are too) have the main breakers indoors. If a contractor were to buy a single main-lug-only panel on the rare occasions that one is needed, He would likely pay much more for it than he had paid for the panels with a main breaker. Also, customers appreciate having a disconnect indoors.

The reason for not upgrading the service to 200A also may have had to do with cost. Utility companies work under tariffs. The tariff that governs the installation may permit the utility company to charge the building’s owner for the increased service size even if the utility company does not actually have to change anything. Those charges can be steep. It is not uncommon for the local utility company’s fees to be several times the cost of installing the new service.

On the customer’s end, the cost difference between a 100A and a 200A service is not all that much. A contractor might advise a customer to install the larger service equipment because tariffs change. If a new tariff limits how much the utility company can charge and the amount is something the building owner deems reasonable, the owner can request the upgrade. Everything on his end will already be in place. Sometimes, the utility companies will stop charging the fees in an attempt keeping the public utility commission off their back and forcing a change to the tariffs. That happens more often that you might expect.

Steve,

There may very well be other deficiencies that we will see when you post the pictures. My comments so far have been based only on the question about the 200A CB in the sub-panel.

Steve, was the “200” amp panel at interior wired as a remote distribution (sub) panel, with neutrals isolated from grounding conductor?

Hi, according to me that electrician is right. They are well experienced so if you are getting problems then you can consult with the other electrician.

It seems you all beat this one to death…and I agree that based on the information provided (without speculation) the Electrical Contractor is indeed correct. Another reason a contractor may install a 200A panelboard/enclosure is for more circuit breaker space…making sure not to exceed the calculated load mind you…but anyway this is not an uncommon installation.

This is a common find in my area. As long as the electrician takes full responsibility for the service it would be good enough for me.

Remember…services are different than allowances to remote distribution panelboards…while this is common for feeders to panelboards…it is not regarding services.