Electricians Check List

Very Nice , Thanks

Thanks. So many helpful people here at NACHI.

Brian McGuire
MJM Home Inspections, LLC

Great information. I placed a copy in my clip board for reference.

Thanks!

Darrin,

Not sure I see your misleading poing…it says Electricians Check List…not Home Inspectors Check List.

The information was for reference for HI’s and not a holy grail of inspection guidelines. Misleading someone is a STRONG statement to make.

While local rules do govern many times the local rules refer to the uniformed code which is some cases simply refer back to the NEC.

You always have to go with the standard and adjust as needed to local rules but I certainly would not want HI's thinking even finished basements need GFCI......because THAT would be incorrect as a general statement.

Once again Paul , Thanks for the info
Louis

Now that it has been mentioned… Home Inspectors Electrical Check List

Has anyone created one?

Things we all should not forget to point out.

GFCI & GFCI protected recepticles at Kitchen counters
GFCI in Bathrooms
AFCI in bedrooms (as new safety regulation)
Zinsco, FPE (Fedral Pacific) Breaker Panels
Double Tapping
Etc.

Something with a nice description of what each item is as well and why they are issues to look out for. Reason to have a licensed quilified electrical contractor to inspect or correct issues.

Myself, I didn’t know about the problem with FPE & Zinsco untill I started reading these boards.

After reading some of these boards I think it would be wise to point out in every inspection something about ceiling fan braceing. We may not be able to see if they are braced properly but we all know that most people don’t have them braced properly. Most people think a metal box is all you need. That just isn’t true! The two little threded screw holes can not support the weight & vibration of a fan.

Just some thoughts.

See my other post on this…Already working on one.

Thaks Paul, great of you to share with us

Joe

A good starting point for HI regarding electrical concerns is NFPA-70. “Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings.”

Good points Doug and I think Joe has posted one so if everyone feels that is fine for a check list then I will stop working on the one I have been working on. If not…let me know and I will keep working on it and adding things.

Thanks, nice job

Mic

Paul: I was looking forward to the list you are developing. Please go for it! I did add similar items in the old forum and they may still be in the archives or were deleted. My post for NFPA 73 was to call attention to something that could be used.

Ok Joe…I thought someone said they used that for HI inspections…I believe I got confused…lol…

I will keep working on it…I did not want to work on something that maybe was not needed due to another post.

It is slow going…I have been home most of the week catching up on TONS of bids I have sitting on the table…just never enough time in the day. I pop on here for a STRESS break as pricing is my LEAST favorite thing about ELE contracting…the collection part is NICE however.

Do your friends call you Paulie? I wondered if you knew the electrical inspector who is mentioned in the message at this link?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2400#post2400=D>

lol…no I do not believe I have ever been called Paulie…lol…My wife would not even call me that. I prefer her to call me Mr. Abernathy…thehehe

I think you asked that before…I have no idea who it is as I am in Virginia only.

Mr. Abernathy:

You didn’t catch on yet? The question from the poster here, http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2400#post2400 and my reply were the bait! Both you and Bob are implied in my comments about the AHJ and electricians “Bobby Paul” and “Paulie Bob” when it comes to the access to the disconnect.

ahhh…ok…guess I missed that one.

I see you are pretty generous with wire sizes on the motor loads, exceeding 430

lol…Greg I didn’t write it…thehehe…I just update it…lol

Oh…Generous is always good…lol…rather than stingy…tehhehehe

Actually greg I think the formula is to taking in the account of VD% as well and giving actual distances to take the table work out of it.

I think you will see that if you take 100’ on a 1/2HP motor at 120V nominal…it is 9.8 Amps per 430.148

Now keeping the voltage drop below 3%…in this factor…using 10/2UF would stay below 3% while going to 12/2UF would exceed it…

I believe this is the basis for the chart…it has already taken into account for the VD%, and breaker sizing…so if the distance was only half the distance…say 50’ it would be less and 12/2UF would probably work…but I think the chart is trying to be general…as all the possible varibles would have a chart way to easy to work with.