Email from Tony Montego

Scam or not? Guy named Tony Montego wanted prices for 10 homes to be inspected in my area ranging from 1400 Sq to 8000sq+ and wanted the Inspections done by Dec 24. I gave him the prices for each home and said I’m not available to do all of the homes by Dec 24 but, that I can do some of them.
He also said he only wanted me to invoice him with Quickbooks as he only pays ACH…and didn’t seem to mind that I can’t do them all by Dec 24.

So, scam or not?

I’ve already decided btw…

1 Like

That is certainly red flag number one for me. I would have to vet further.

Tell him to pick up the phone & call you

5 Likes

Sounds like a SCAM, to me… :-1:

4 Likes

Not enough info to determine if this is a scam or not but I would tell him what you have for payment options and also tell him that payment for each property must be done upfront before the day of inspection.

1 Like

And it clears the bank without repercussions.

2 Likes

I always think it is suspicious when a consumer tries to control payment method from the beginning.

When I am purchasing goods or services, I typically ask the vendor what forms of payment are accepted and when.

7 Likes

Let me guess. He is in a hospital and cannot talk on the phone. He said, “I would like you to know” at least a half dozen times. He isn’t working with an agent, and you are not allowed to contact the owners of the property.

3 Likes

Interesting…

I had a fellow email me about a year ago with a similar proposition. Except his name was Inigo Montoya…

(Google the name)

5 Likes

Of course it is. No additional vetting necessary.

2 Likes

Its a scam.

2 Likes

Welcome back to our forum, Steven!..Enjoy!..and participate with us.

You need to verify this thoroughly but it does, at least on the surface, look like a SCAM!

G

2 Likes

I went back and forth with “Tony” last week. He refused to pay for each individual inspection and insisted on one check for all 8 properties. At first he tried to get me to create a quick books invoice and then when I balked he wanted to go the single check route. My Spidey senses were tingling from the get go.
Definitely a scam. FYI I am in the metro Chicago area and he wanted me to send the invoice to a company called “Built By Brian”. He would not give me his FEIN number to vet the company so I pretty much gave up at that point realizing this was a hoax. Hopefully if anyone else gets a similar request you now know to avoid it and tell “Tony” to go pound sand. This was the email address it came from:tonymontego111@gmail.com tonymontego111@gmail.com;

2 Likes

He found you. Did you kill his father? :laughing:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Same email…

My bet, it is a scam…

If this wasn’t a scam, I owe that guy an apology and, oh my. My poor dear sister……

12 Likes

I figured a service like that would be a lot more than $10.00.

1 Like