enclosed patio

I have no picture but I can get one I was caught offguard when somebody asked me to look at this so no camera. It was a patio concrete slab and enclosed and tied into their dining room I would say from the 60s. She had a hole about the size of a basketball in their wall paneling on the interior side of their exterior wall. behind the paneling there was this white material and it felt and looked like sprayed stucco. The coating was hard but it was spongy like it was over a foam board could this be an asbestos matrial.

Only way to know for sure is to have a sample tested.

It had a really hard texture just like stucco I don’t know too much about asbestos but does it get that hard

Typically, it would not “be” asbestos, but it may “contain” asbestos (microscopic fibers), thus the acronym ACM (Asbestos Containing Material).

Do yourself a huge favor and do a Google search (Wikipedia is sufficient: Asbestos - Wikipedia ) for a basic understanding of Asbestos. The word is a major Red Flag in this industry, second only to the “M” word (mold), so you need to understand what it is and where it may be found.

I’m sure you will get a few inspectors with links to asbestos this and asbestos that. Start with the BASICS or you will get totally lost really quick.

As for your original question… I suspect it could be EIFS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterior_insulation_finishing_system ) but there is no way to tell from here. :wink:

Thanks Jeff I appreciate your time, I will google and learn more about asbestos

Jeff is spot on, when asbestos is suspected, the correct way to describe is ACM. And learn a bunch, as well as learn to describe what you do and don’t do during a standard HI, I don’t know of any SOP’s that mandate you to include any observations ACM’s, Mold etc. However, I’d offer that the standard of care, is that most of us note to customers these and other concerns as a courtesy, and recommend appropriate follow up.

But he said it was from the 60’s…couldn’t be EIFS.

My guess is it was an attempt to insulate the closed in patio exterior wall, maybe spray foam insulation?

Was the home from the 60’s, or was the modification/addition from the 60’s?

And why do you say EIFS couldn’t be from the sixties? It’s been around since WWII.

http://www.pieglobal.com/eifs-history-and-review-of-the-failure-mechanisms/

The home was 30’s the remodel was 60’s, The interior finish was 1/4 wall paneling, the whole was at knee level. I told the lady it was not asbestos it was just a stucco finish, after I thought about it I don’t know all of the different ways asbestos could of appeared. So I asked here on the MB. I can but I would rather not go back and get a picture because I do not want to scare the old lady with thoughts of asbestos if it is not. She had also had floor tiles in the basement, the design was a green and black marble look, I have no proof but it looked like a 60’s design, but the tiles were a 12x12 very hard plastic or vinyl glued to the concrete basement floor she did not ask if that contained asbestos so I did not even bring it up to her. It had looked like someone tried to pop up the tiles and it was a tough job so they quit, the way it was breaking up it looked like it was shattering like glass. By the way this was not an inspection, it was just an old lady I felt bad for so I gave her my best opinions, I am just trying to better my knowledge for when I start getting inspections. I was in the house because her water was giving out on her so I replaced it ,was A.O Smith 32 years old that is a record to what I have seen.