Energized area around receptacles

I had it, it’s not approved to test AFCI because it may not trip it. Extech discontinued it.

Did’t know that. Hmm.
When AFCI do not trip I write it up. As well measured dV drop Voltage.

When using the Extech 80 's AFCI test, it may not trip otherwise perfectly working AFCI breaker. You should use the breaker’s test button to test it or you may end up writing up something that works correctly.

Testers cannot simulate Arc fault on many brand breakers. Currently the method is to use the test button as Simon said.

Actually, I do both. At the panel and at the receptacle.

Thanks for the heads up about the EXTECH CT80, Roy. You’re The Best!
Just ordered the new CT70.:grinning:

I don’t trip AFCI .
I don’t want the seller bitchin’ at me because they have to reset all electronic devices they have.

1 Like

You may want to re-think that protocol, for several reasons.

And you’ll be surprised how many AFCI breakers don’t trip when the “Test Button” is depressed. House earlier this week had 5 AFCI, only 2 of them tripped.

Dom.

3 Likes

Been a lot of houses built without AFCI. There was never any need. All of a sudden Electricians aren’t tightening electrical connections? How do you know the test button isn’t bad? Do you load each circuit to see if the OCP trips? Some things will always be beyond the scope.

I do not trip AFCI breakers in an occupied house. You never know what is plugged into them. I disclose that in my report. If the house is vacant, then I trip them.

1 Like

You kidding?
How do you if a GFCI test button isn’t bad if it doesn’t trip? I’m not there to determine “why” it doesn’t trip.

The accepted testing protocol is to depress the integral Test Button and observe the results.

1 Like

It actually is the only way to test them. As to you finding 2 out of 5 that tripped, it seems the older ones (1990’s) seem to fail more in my minimal experience.

If the test button is bad, the device is bad and needs to be replaced.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s for sure.

I hope you reset all the bedroom alarms with the proper wake times.

1 Like

I’m with you Bob I never tested those AFCI’s in an occupied home. For that simple reason. Bad enough when you hit a GFCI that did not want to reset and you have to go around and check everything that is de-energized and make sure the frig or freezer was not on that circuit. Then you got to leave a memo to the owner on the sink to let him know.
I would just note that they were not tested.

1 Like

Nor did I, but the onbord test button is the only valid AFCI test method. I always tested them in new construction and vacant homes.

Same here…

There’s not much that I can’t figure out with a Wiggy and some common sense.

2 Likes

I concur.

That brings me to the CT80. Always tripped operable AFCI. Mostly test at the panel and with CT80 load tester.
Electricians or clients never phoned explaining the AFCI operated when they tested the breaker.

1 Like

100% agree. I had a standing bet that you could wire a home, not ‘tie in’ any of the boxes and with the power off I could device and install all lights and when you turned the power on everything would work.

Double the bet I would have every switch including 4 ways in the down position.