Energy Movement Course

This is a picture of an uninsulated attic scuttle hole door. Air movement can be felt here.

In the inspection article titled Building Cavities, there is mention that builders would use panned floor joists as plenum and I have seen this firsthand on older homes. You can easily feel the warm air streaking from the metal edges of the pan in the crawlspace.
In the inspection article title Ghosting, examples are shown along wall surfaces. I have also seen this along carpet edges from improperly sized air handlers creating a negative air situation .

After removing the cover of this bathroom exhaust fan to look for air leakage, I discovered that the gap had not been caulked between the exhaust fan frame and the drywall. This is an open hole in the air barrier carrying warm air and moisture directly into the attic space.

Hello
My picture is of the front door with a side window in for letting light inside.While using a a smoke pencil around the vertical widow to the left of the door, it was revealed a significant air infiltration around it. I suggest removing the frame around the window and fill the voids with foam spray insulation.

The 2 articles i have read were Aluminium siding inspection and back drafting.
Aluminium siding:
Even thought it is hardly used anymore, buying a house having Aluminium siding on it and still in good condition,would have no effect on water infiltration once properly inspected.

Back drafting:Is an issue in everyday life that we basically forget about but is probably one of the most important things to have inspected in a home.

The photo is of an attic displaying the amount of blown in rockwool insulation that has been installed. Note that the ductwork in the photo is not properly secured to the vent. We have recommended this be secured and conditioned air is being blown into the attic space/

IMGP5706.JPG

Excellent course. Thank you

heat duct taped but tape is stiff and can be moved around.air movement detected as heat loss into room

DOORS, WINDOWS & INTERIOR

INSPECT:

_x I inspected a representative number of doors and windows by opening and closing them.

_____ A representative number of doors and windows were not inspected, because they were:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
_____ not present
_____ not within the scope of the inspection

x_ I inspected floors, walls and ceilings.

_____ The floors, walls and ceilings were not inspected, because they were:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
_____ not present

_x I inspected stairs, steps, landings, stairways and ramps.

_____ The stairs, steps, landings, stairways and ramps were not inspected, because they were:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
_____ not present

x_ I inspected railings, guards and handrails.

_____ The railings, guards and handrails were not inspected, because they were:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
_____ not present

x_ I inspected garage vehicle doors and the operation of garage vehicle door openers, using normal operating controls.

_____ The garage vehicle doors and the operation of garage vehicle door openers were not inspected, because they were:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
_____ not present

DESCRIBE:

_____ The garage vehicle door is manually-operated.

x_ The garage vehicle door is installed with a garage door opener.

REPORT:

_____ I saw evidence of improper spacing between intermediate balusters, spindles and rails for steps, stairways, guards and railings. Correction is needed.

_____ I saw evidence of photo-electric safety sensors that did not operate properly. Correction is needed.

_x I saw evidence of a window that was obviously fogged or displayed other evidence of broken seals. Correction is needed.

_____ I saw evidence of a material defect. Correction is needed.

_x I saw evidence of a functional defect. Correction is needed.

_____ I saw evidence of a cosmetic defect.
windows leaking ,should be checked further to establish steps to correct___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

important to remember that especially in the winter we remember to make sure we dont ignore tell tale signs of possible air and heat leakage.my current rental was found to be uninsulated in over 40 percent of the attic space.
when we feel a cold draft,investigate it dont ignore it or literally pay the the price:eek:

Here we have an air gap around water spigot. Recommended caulking and sealing as needed.

good day, as part fo the energy movement for inspectors training i am including a image of a attic access panel. the panel had no insulation above and i felt air movement around the gaps at the opening. the owner has complained of a drafty feel in the condo and i would recommend to have a contractor place insulation above the access and review.

good day, as per the course requirement i read energy savings, and energy conservation and 10 ways to save energy in your home…excellent read.

This is a photo of a detached supply duct above the furnace plenum. This is allowing huge energy loss into the unconditioned basement.

It’s a little difficult to see because of my poor photographic timing and the glare, but notice how the gap at the door gets larger toward the bottom. This is air leak compounded by weatherstripping that needs to be replaced.

I read the article on blower door testing as reinforcement for the video in the course. One thing I picked up in the article was wind conditions, which would seem to limit blower door testing here to about 2 days a year without doing multiple locations in the home and averaging the results.

Currently taking the Energy Movement course and just posting a picture here of a window with deteriorated and failing seals. Obvious moisture intrusion is noted in the top window panel as condensation can be seen.

The articles I read for the course were the window inspection article and the window film treatment article. While window film may help with energy conservation from preventing sunlight, it is also important to make sure the seals of that window are not the cause of infiltration of air and moisture.

mal adjusted weatherstripping on a garage doorIMG_7902.jpg

Tyvek
Builders install this Tyvek so that when moisture penetrates. it will meet the Tyvek and drain away before the sheathing absorbs it, where it can cause decay. Tyvek also prevents air infiltration.