Environmental Issues - how to report and CYA?

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Asked to inspect a commercial garage. As in automotive repair. Doctor is buying it to put in a medical practice. For what it is worth past experience tells me to tear it down and start from scratch. It will be cheaper and better in the long run. But thats not my choice.

Needless to say there is oil, transmission fluid and who knows what else spilled and staining the slab and asphalt outside. Building is in good condition and relatively clean for a shop. There is a bank of 55 gallon drums that they obviously dump waste fluids in on one wall. They sit on what appears to be kitty litter filled area.

This leaves me concerned about the possible environmental contamination with all the fluids that have been handles and spilled over the years. My contract clearly states I don't inspect for these. But I feel I should make some king of mention of the possibility and recommend it be checked by a qualified tech. Any suggestion on how to word this?

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi John,

I would be very careful about getting into this area, other to recommend that maybe the buyer brings in an enviromental testing lab to analyse the potential ground comtaminents, many garage wastes are Hazmat classed Oil, Coolants etc and a site that is local to me is now a superfund site due to the levels of ground contaminant.

Here is a link to the EPA site on waste oil issues:

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/usedoil/usedoil.htm

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jhorton

Just thinking someone might have a good line to use.

I am a Real Estate Appraiser so I am very aware of the fact that I don't want to say to much. Butat the same time I feel should at least mention it since I saw it and I am aware it could be a problem. I think not mentioning it could be just a bad as saying it's not a problem.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: rray

My contract is quite specific about environmental hazard exclusions, but when I find something, like excessive oil stains on the garage floor, this is what I use:

Excessive oil stains on garage floor. Oil can be flammable and is a hazardous material as defined by the State of California. Recommend clean-up by qualified hazardous materials professional.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.