Episode 52 - Performing a Home Inspection According to the SOP

Hey everyone,

NACHI.TV just released a new episode:

Episode 52 - Performing a Home Inspection According to the SOP
Two Certified Master Inspectors (CMI)® perform a residential home inspection according to the InterNACHI Residential Standards of Practice. The historic (heritage) home was built in 1886 and has many defects that are revealed during the inspection. The Standards are reviewed and applied to every system of the home. The viewer shall learn what is required of an inspector by the Standards of Practice. It is recommended that you download the Standards before you watch the video so that you can follow along.

Watch this episode now. Reply here to discuss.

Thanks Chris, just finished watching it and as usual, Kenton and Ben did a superb job.

Thanks for providing the service to Inachi.

Marcel :):smiley:

Amazing!! Ben and Kenton did a great job! Thanks for all you do guys!!

Watched some of it , but is there any way to get back where I left off with out needing to see it from the start.?

Yes, you can move about any part of the episode that has loaded. If you are on high speed it will generally load faster than it plays.

Yeah , not easy to sit for 2 hours at one time. :slight_smile:

TIME: 00:14…The height of the railing on the small round balcony appears not to meet code…there is a door leading onto the balcony.

TIME: 00:58:38
The metal plate at the ceiling level of metal chimney (not flue) is called a “firestop” not draftstop.

TIME: 1:05:00…How does the “three hole” newer receptacle test as properly wired (including ground) just by connecting a wire from the receptacle (outlet) to the metal box (presumably ungrounded due to being in a “two conductor without ground” older wiring system)??

TIME: 1:12:00…The loop mentioned by Kenton on kitchen island sink venting is called an “island loop vent” or “Chicago loop”, not Hartford loop. The Hartford loop is found steam boiler heating systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Loop_(plumbing
http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbviews/2001/hartford.asp

They used a version of the hartford loop under some sinks long ago to prevent clogging, and in hot tubs. We even had a version of it to handle condensate from radon fans: Page 4 of http://www.radonaway.com/pdfs/RP.pdf

Nick,

Don’t waste your time!
It sounds like we have another wand on our hands!
This guy claims the railing is too low and not to CODE! WOW!! Tear the house down Kenton and Ben, this house is not to code!!

Nick,

In truth a Hartford loop was invented by the Hartford Insurance Company long ago as a means to help prevent steam boiler explosions. It has been used for little ever since. Now, despite a TECHNICAL reality that it MAY have been used for something else, the FACT is that, really, a Hartford Loop is generally reserved, and referenced, primarily for use in steam boiler configurations.

If I called a drain loop under an island sink a Hartford Loop I’d be laughed at by any plumber that came along.

You know guys if we tried I’m sure each and every one of us could find something to pick apart here and in any training film I’m sure…but i for one appreciate the effort that went into this and consider it my time well spent…thanks Gents …keep em coming…jim

Well said Jim, a lot of effort has been spent here for the members and anybody work can be taken apart when it is under scrutiny, right or wrong as the fact may be.

These episodes are the greatest and sure it is helping some. That is all that counts.

Marcel :):smiley:

James and Marcel nailed it!! Well said guys!

Agreed. Thanks to everyone who puts their time and effort into these videos.

So no one else had anything to discuss??? It’s all I simply did!!!

Mario:
Don’t you call low, dangerous railings in your inspections?? I would hope so!!!

Brian …i believe You are barking up the wrong tree this evening …now go away…

In this case, I have to agree with those who are pointing out the flawed data that…once again…finds its way into a NACHI Tv “training” film.

Somewhere along the line in this process, certain people have to make up their minds as to what is being represented.

Do we, indeed, consider this an amateur effort and applaud a couple of good-ol-boys playing with a video camera for almost being correct in their project? Or do we consider them…as they want to be considered…as educators and hold them to the higher standard? It cannot be both ways.

Do we REALLY advise our clients to replace a water heater that was installed in 2004? Is it REALLY advisable to enter low, wet crawl spaces to prove you are a man? Will a Hartford Loop REALLY be found under a sink in a kitchen island?

Imagine the travesty of one combining all of these in one home inspection and report.

Cranking these things out every other week is obviously not allowing a sufficient time to research and validate the information that is being provided and the reputation for accuracy has already diminished to such a degree that it is hard to imagine anyone paying to view one of these films, IMO.

Since it bears the NACHI name and reflects upon the association, you can always bet that the Brian MacNeishes of the world will be pointing at and magnifying these errors to try to add credibility to their foolish arguments.

If Ben and Kenton want the credit…they must also bear the blame.

I agree James!

Too much info which are not completely accurate in some instances.

These videos needs to be better edited.

Are you suggesting info provided by nacho
"Certified MASTER Inspectors" may not be accurate:roll::roll:

You and Brian make a great tag team.

Listen the darn video is how long?

I can find many innacuracies in any 30 minute TV show, so give credit where credit is due guys.

Perhaps they should just do nothing, then there would be nothing to criticize.

How accurate are the ASSIE videos.?

O yeah , they do not have money left over in their budget from all their attempted branding ,to actually do things for their members. (like anyone outside Inspecting really cares)