Estimates in Reports

The closing date has nothing to do with it. In most contracts, there is an “inspection period” usually 5 or 10 days from the date the contract was signed. Weekends, and Holidays in some instances can reduce that number dramatically. I can’t tell you how many times I get called with, "we need the inspection done by the end of business tomorrow!
The “estimate” won’t be exact, that is why it is called an estimate. The cost will be accurate.
Your mechanic scenario is flawed. As a former mechanic, I can tell you that you can go to five different mechanics and get five different estimates. Not to mention, if you are doing an inspection on a car, which I did several times, if you are off on the estimate, you are not going to get sued for several reasons. There were clauses in the contract I used which stated that in some instances, other items may appear causing the estimate to increase.

An example would be you give an estimate to replace a fan clutch, when doing the job, you discover that the water pump is leaking, then when you remove the water pump housing, a bolt breaks and now you have to remove the timing chain cover, where you discover that the nylon is gone on the top timing gear and so now, the $120.00 fan clutch has turned into a significant amount of work, and money.
The same thing happens when someone comes in for the 69 dollar brake job and all the seals in the rear end are worn out, gear lube is everywhere and everything inside the rear brake assembly has to be replaced. The new price is $500.00+.

Reasons once again why I do not get involved in giving estimates. I would rather have my head set on fire and put out with a sledge hammer.

I would never give you an estimate on repairing your car.

Actually I have a mechanic I trust. While I do expect his estimate of cost to be accurate I also understand that unforeseen circumstances may increase his expenses and my cost for repair. A great reason why estimates are inaccurate. Thank you. The inspection contingency period has nothing to do with costs to repair. The inspection contingency period is for timely inspections to determine what defects require correction, not the costs involved.

Not even for a bottle of Patron?

I believe providing guesstimates is part of the “standard of care” and have no intention of removing them from my inspection reports. Carry on. :smiley:

To each his own. That is what I say.

Michael,

When I inspect, not only do I not give estimates, I’m not a contractor,
I also do not refer anyone.
It is up to the Seller or the buyer to get estimates and to choose who they hire to do the job.
When the job is done, they can call me and I can come in and inspect.
If the broker wants to do the running around, that maybe part of his service, but it is not part of the services I offer.

I give estimates.

I estimate that 95% of people giving estimates will be out of business in a year…How is that for an estimate?

I would like to only do it that way as well.

I hope so so then I will not have to hear how every other inspector does it.

Mike you give estimates?

Guess I am in the 5% since I have been doing it for 17 years!:mrgreen:

yep, let me ask you…how many have you seen come and go?..thats the other 95%…

Since 2002. :wink:

I did once. Just last week. I put a lot of disclaimer to it. I was making a client happy because they thought they were getting it. The realtor was recommended to me from some other realtor and I believe she thought she was going to get estimates. I told her it was not my normal practice.

I was just wondering how you would estimate your sample report.

Snazzy.

The best thing is the customers agree. I was talking to a wonderful lady just today and she was on my website as we spoke. She loved it and thought it was great. Thanks for helping me catch some errors, it looks even better now.

The ones that have came and gone, I doubt giving estimates had anything to do with it.

I could do it for that. It would probably be way off just like a repair estimate from a Home Inspector. Interesting thing her is HIs feel a contractof isnt qualified to be a home inspector but somehow a home inspecror is qualified to do estimates. Hmmm