Ever wanted to know why subpanels should not be bonded?

This guy does a good job showing practical demonstration of why grounded conductors should be isolated and bonding straps/screws removed on non-service equipment.

20 Likes

Great info, Chuck! Thanks! :smile:

1 Like

His furnace has improper dirt leg :slight_smile: Probably because an electrician? installed it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

That was a good explanation Chuck, thanks.

Nice presentation. Good find, Thanks!

I thought it was going to get exciting when he was talking about disconnecting the grounded conductor.

Yeah, same here, Chuck! I was waiting for a show!

Could you pass along the name of this guys channel?

Benjamin Sahlstrom

Benjamin Sahlstrom

65.1K subscribers

Great explanation for sub panels! Its amazing how current goes everywhere when binded improperly. One question… Would you have the same measurements all over the place if the home only has a service panel no subs panels and why or why not?

Great information! Thanks for posting.

Thanks Marcel!

Why again did he unevenly load the panel?

When the loads are balanced (such as a properly laid out panel) the neutral current is cancelled out. For the purposes of demonstration he needed to show the neutral current.

1 Like

OK! Understood.
One of the comments was …
" In Maryland we use to bond to gas pipes and had to install ground jumpers across unions on gas pipes" .
I understand why that would be advantageous in this situation.
Why is it still required?

Dielectric unions.

How about CSST?

I agree with your statements regarding the video but I’m going to go out on a limb and say not much of what’s in that article that you’ve posted is true.

What part is not true?

I would start with this:

That’s why it is more efficient to install a 240-volt air conditioners that draws 14 amps (7 amps per leg) versus a 120-volt air conditioner that draws 14 amps on just one leg.

An electric meter reads watts. Watts are watts regardless of voltage. The only change in efficiency would be from less voltage drop at the higher voltage which is usually negligible.

As your power demand increases, so does your electrical rate. So if you are running two 120-volt window air conditioners that draw 10 amps each and they are on the same leg of power, your demand is 20 amps on a leg. But if you place them on separate legs of power, now your demand is only 1 amps, get it?

This statement seems to imply that a balanced load is charged less which isn’t true, again watts are watts. Also two 10 amp loads on opposite legs would have a neutral load of 0.

1 Like