Ever wanted to know why subpanels should not be bonded?

Both reasonable objections. The math in the first example is simply wrong. In the second example the Power Company is going to charge you for the Watt / hours consumed regardless of a balanced load or not.

Should of read the whole article before I added it!

1 Like

CSST is required to have additionally bonding under the gas codes which is above the NEC requirements. The NEC considers a gas line to be bonded by the circuit egc.

0 or negligible on the service neutral. The same principle is used in certain situations (branch circuits multiwire) when a neutral is not considered a current carrying conductor.

Wether the load is balanced or not it will not effect your usage at the Meter, you are charged by kilowatts per hour on the ungrounded (hot) conductor(s).

:smile: :rofl:

Thanks for sharing Chuck! I have shared with my entire team and subscribed to the contributor.

This type of post is the true purpose of this forum .

1 Like

Curious, then, when losing amps to the ground, does that affect the usage reading at the meter? Since it is not calculating the correct return current?
Would that result in higher electric bill? (Even if it’s a minute amount? )

thanks Chuck! I understood the reasoning, but it’s nice to see it practically!
Did you watch the hot dog one? :grimacing:

Only now that you mentioned it (thanks :sweat_smile:). I think I would have configured that experiment a little differently so that I didn’t need to have my hands and face so close to that hot dog or bare conductors when powering the dog up and down. Would have been nice to see it done with a variable transformer to see how it reacted to varing cominations of voltage/amps.

1 Like

Good question I would think that it would not matter much as the meters design would somehow for compensate for it. Also would current returning on your GEC via the common water pipe from the neighbors house register on your meter?

1 Like

Good point

The meter is measuring the electrical energy that is passing through it correct? In that case where it goes after passing the meter shouldn’t matter. I’m essentially thinking in terms of throwing a clamp amp meter on both legs of the SE cable, then converting the current measurement to watts.
But maybe I’m missing something…

I believe that you’re correct, it’s measuring the amount of current that passes through it and that gets converted to kw/hours.

But it also measures what goes back, as well, right? That’s how you can actually get a credit on your bill with solar power, when you have a surplus of energy and it essentially backfeeds? Or is that incorrect?

Nice find, Chuck. He did a good presentation.

The video has a lot of misinformation and missing information.

Unfortunately, your post is completely useless, unless you are willing to provide the correct and complete information that you deem mis or missing.

We’ll wait here for you to do something useful about it.

1 Like

He would be more correct to call it a service and a distribution panel.

Maybe the poster doesn’t have the same level of alphabet soup behind his name.

I guess it is easier to say something is wrong but not back it up.

It certainly appears that way, doesn’t it???