Everyone Get Ready

Originally Posted By: gbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just saw that our newest member of the board is Jerry Peck from South Florida. Jerry has been around a long time and has a great deal of knowledge to share with all of us.

WELCOME Jerry

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Pretty interesting Greg! icon_cool.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jerry,

WHERE ARE YOU? Come on in...
![](upload://wX6ea6OhFMDLi9KwHpDLIYJs6IF.gif)
Say Hi to everyone.

DAVID VALLEY

http://www.nachi.org/newenglandchapter.htm
email us at: newengland@nachi.org

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all

I am pleased and some what suprised to see Jerry on our message boards, I am “gob smacked” (sorry excuse me I’m English) I mean stunned to see that he has decided to join us, for those not in the know Jerry has worked hard over the years to not only better himself, but to promote education within the Home Inspection business. please take the time to look at his web site.

Make no mistake Jerry and I have locked horns (at the other place) but I for one respect his technical abilities, and I would strongly suggest that our members who are newer to the business listen carefully to his advise, and tips.

Jerry, welcome to NACHI ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rray

Jerry, you didn’t join just to spy on us, did you? icon_lol.gif

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Hi guys (and gals), dont’t let mey disrupt the fun.

Thanks for the welcome.

Just joined and just poked my head in. Haven't had time to peruse the forum yet.

I have to head out to an inspection I hope to finish today so I don't have to go back tomorrow.

See you guys later.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry, did I read somewhere that you are running for President of ASHI? Will you bring a sense of helpfulness to the organization for Candidate members, at least in some areas where they seem to need it, San Diego for example?

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Russel,

I was running for ASHI President via petitions (the ASHI system uses a President Elect from the previous year to ascend to President the following year, and getting on the ballot is difficult), but did not find out about the petition method of getting on the ballot in time to accomplish that goal.

So now it is just "write in" in the write in space, which will not happen.

I was trying to become ASHI President to I could turn ASHI around and listen to what the members were saying rather than thumbing my nose at the members and say "This IS HOW we are going to do it (even if we don't know HOW yet), and this IS HOW MUCH you are going to be forced to pay for something that you don't even know about. AND, you are going to have to pay more in January, like it or not."

But, alas, it was not to be.

So now I am just looking at ASHI as ASHI is presenting itself, as a "marketing association".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Which is what I always thought they and CREIA were. CREIA/ASHI here in San Diego are very much one and the same. The executive director of CREIA and I sang together in a community chorus here in San Diego for several years in the mid-'90s, so I knew him before I knew home inspections. But after my first year of CREIA/ASHI membership, going to expensive dinner meetings and expensive conventions, I just couldn’t stomach being ignored. You know from my posts here and “over there” that I like to participate. Every month at the dinner meetings they would ask for volunteers for this and volunteers for that, specifically chairs of committees to get something up and running. Always I volunteered. Never once got a call to even be a grunt, much less a chair. And the other Candidate members I interacted with were treated the same way. Interesting thing was that the same people, old-timers, were constantly chosen for the positions because “no one volunteered” or “no one else was available.” One can only take so much of that before leaving for greener pastures.

I'm sure I've lost some potential inspections by not being listed at CREIA and ASHI, but I sure wouldn't know it from the volume of business I did during my second year. Now, however, it's time for third year and additional growth. So at least one of my inspectors will be joining CREIA and another one will be joining ASHI, just to get listed on the web sites and that's all.

I still go to CREIA and ASHI conventions when they are convenient and offer something worthwhile.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

perfect for NACHI, but NACHI’s message board is certainly perfect for Jerry. The two are made for each other.

Welcome home.

http://www.isa-home-inspections.com

Nick

PS I second Igor's endorsement and offer my personal fund raising and marketing services toward any future run for the ASHI presidency. I am also friends with upwards of 400 ASHI members and am at your disposal.

If Jerry could actually win the presidency and put some of his thoughts into action at ASHI, I personally would consider rejoining ASHI.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Welcome Jerry

and I'll second Russel post

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

-joining ASHI.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Lest we not forget one of the more perturbing traits of the ASHI-legislation crowd, which forced many home inspectors out of business in my neighboring state, NJ.

The ASHI-mode of legislation os a wolf in sheeps clothing. Pretending to protect the consumer, it does little in that regard. It misses the most basic of licensing concepts, and promotes indentured servitude for all but a few.

This is the most dangerous piece of the ASHI puzzle. Branding is a joke, that is doing little more than back-firing in the faces of ASHI management. Licensing is a genuine threat to all non-ASHI inspectors. We also see a pattern of litigious abuse in Pennsylvania with PHIC and Keystone ASHI challenging the legitimacy of this very organization on a more-than-regular basis.

Whenever I hear ASHI, I want to grab a barf bag and heave...

To Jerry, a true welcome. I'm sure we will all benefit from your no-BS approach to issues. As to any "cross-marketing" effort between NACHI and ASHI, I might consider it once I felt comfortable that ASHI had curbed its appetite for controlling the HI world.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Jerry has been very cordial to me and has helped me with several questions that I had. A bona fide asset to NACHI and straight shooter.

This is good news. Welcome Jerry.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Joe,

Let's be accurate about the N.J. Home Inspection licensing. No one has been forced out of business yet. The date was pushed back until June '04. then the unlicensed guys will be out of luck.

Jerry, I'd also like to welcome you to NACHI.

Neal Lewis

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

True enough, Neal.

But the truth of the matter is that you are one of the fortunate ones. The law will indeed force many a good HI into oblivion. The law is far too restrictive, in my estimation, and if you go back to the initial incident which was the catalyst for this law, it would have done NOTHING for the victim. The same inspectors who performed the service for her would have been guaranteed a license, while other qualified inspectors will be on the outside looking in. And THAT is the problem with ALL of these bills. Although NJs law isnt exactly the ASHI model, it follows it in the majority of its content. ASHI model legislation is about PROTECTIONISM, and little else.

But, in fairness to Jerry Peck, at least he was trying to help ASHI get back to reality. Many ASHI guys are great people and great inspectors. Many are elitists, whose inspection methodologies skirt many of the ASHI ethics and SOP rules, while remaining on the fringes to allow themselves to remain members.

NACHI has no two tier system: you either have the minimum requirements and can pass our exam, or you cant. We have no candidate and member status. You're either a member or your not. Our ethics and SOP guidelines are effective and reasonable. We try and take a common sense approach to things. We'll do the same with legislative position statements. To that end, folks such as you, Jerry Igor, Greg, and a slew of both seasoned and non-seasoned inspectors, along with legislators, consumers, and attorneys, will help NACHI clarify and craft what protects the consumer and allows our craft to prosper, while not locking anyone out.

Jerry will surely bring some real-world experience, common sense, and lively banter to this board. So, welcome, Jerry!

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Jeez guys,

I don't know what to say ...

(I hadn't looked back here since my last post)

... except "Thanks for the very warm welcome."

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Nick G.,

Should we start working on some of those things we discussed?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida