Evidence and Admission of Guilt?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If someone posted a message or a reply to a message on the internet and admitted that he or she helped someone to bypass a safety feature in an electrically operated door opener, could a lawyer use that information in court?

As a general question, is anyone aware of any specific case where information from a message was used as evidence?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

How can they prove it who it was who actually made the post. Even on this forum we have seen spouses use their partners login to make a post. I don’t even know what my password is of the top of my head. I just click on my Favorite/Bookmark link and I’m in. There are regulations surrounding what constitutes an electronic signature. I don’t know what they are but I don’t think a forums login and password meet those requirements. I would suspect though that a layer will still attempt to try it anyway.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
I would suspect though that a lawyer will still attempt to try it anyway.

If they will sue McDonalds because some dummy spilled extra hot coffee in her lap while driving, you know they would attempt just about anything. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

The admission was made without reference to exactly who was “helped” to bypass this safety device. How would they prove it was they who recieved it? Also giving instructions on how to do something and forcing someone to do it aren’t exactly the same thing.

BUT...some lawyers will attempt to bring any case to court and even if you win it will still cost $$$$.

I don't think I'd give the advice, nor admit to it if I did.

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: awatson

If I was that person, I would probably go to the post and delete it. No telling what kind of trouble some one else may want to start. just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Legally, yes, the posts can be used as evidence. DC Fire Department has a case in court right now where a lesbian who was employed as a diversity trainer was targeted by several members of the department using screen names other than there given names and on a non-department bulleting board. She claims they have previously identified themelves as DC Firefighters and the court subpeona’d the bulletin boards records to prove their identities. They posted anti-gay remarks and she is suing for sexual harassment. Right now the courts seem to be favoring her arguments.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com