Exams with too many difficult-to-answer questions are harmful to consumers.

Joe, have you ever been to an ARRILO conference or one of the many other ones that is attended by lawmakers from across the country?

It is a time for groups of individuals to network and talk about the profession. Many things are spoken in private conversations and necks would be on the chopping block if I spouted names on the internet. Let’s just say that even Mallory, JR, Everett and a few more were in attendance for NAHI as well as several ASHI staffers but NACHI was not present at the last event or any for the past seven or so years that I can recall. Even CREIA and TARIE had representatives.

I don’t know what to tell you other that what I have already done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Schoop

*It is a well known fact among the state law makers across the country that the NACHI exam is not a reliable test for state license laws. *

If the facts are well known as you suggest, please cite the specific examples and individuals that you are referencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Schoop
If you were to attended any of the national conferences that are for law makers and regulators, you would see that the NACHI exam is not looked upon as a reliable tool to determine ones ability to be a home inspector.

Again, please cite the specific examples and individuals that you are referencing.

Tracy,

You made suggestions as statements of fact.

Please Substantiate or Retract.

Tracy,

Adding to Paul’s excellent post, you may not be aware that several states have, and do, recognize NACHI’s on-line exam for licensure.

New York was one of them, and recognized NACHIs exam, along with the NHIE and a few others as acceptable tests for licenure, until such time that their own test was developed.

Got to check the facts…

As to SMEs, we have plenty of them. One can ask the same of the qualifications of SMEs for the NHIE. I happen to know several excellent inspectors who have participated in developing/reviewing questions for the NHIE. But, let’s not discount the pool of experience and knowledge we have in-house.

Sorry Joe, but I do not have to substantiate anything. Let’s say what I have said is an opinion.

All that really proves is that you have better lobbyists. :smiley:

As someone who has taken both the NHIE & NACHI’s exam, the only discernible difference is the distraction on having to take the NHIE in a public place knowing that you are out $180 if you fail.

Before you go dismissing my statement I have also passed New Jersey’s state electric exam and the four ICC residential exams so I know of which I speak.

Tracy, you are absolutely amazing. Most long standing members of ASHI don’t have a clue what an Arrilo confernce is about, let alone know about Mallory, JR and a few other names. You must spend an extraordinary amount of time talking shop. **“ARRILO”? **You are without a doubt very much in the know for new inspector.

I do believe that B.R. might be talking to us :stuck_out_tongue: The old educational chair from Albuquerque.

I maybe in correct with “E” part, but I really do believe that back in the old days it was Educational but changed at a later date, I could be wrong though, happens with old age. :wink:

Paul

So you are stating that you merely possess an opinion that can not be substantiated with Facts as you had previously suggested.

Thank you,

Then say it is your opinion. Do not attempt to disguise it as ‘fact’ and disparage our membership.

Hmmm? Now which of these quote by Tracy is closer to the truth? My ex brother in law quote, or NACHI was not present at the last event or any for the past seven years or so quote?

If one is fact, then the other is fiction :shock:

Paul

Damn, Paul you are up late tonight… must be the weather

I would just like to state for the record ,that I had a tougher time with the NACHI exam.

Joe Burkeson’s comment was spot on about the “worry factor” when taking the NHIE. I had to take it for my county license, but had to drive 80 miles to a testing center (don’t be late, or you won’t be let in) pay $195, and look at some bad pictures and cryptic drawings on a computer screen during the test. All the while knowing that if one doesn’t pass the test, they get to shell out another $195 the next time.

Neither test is particularly difficult, but are a basic test of the rudimentary knowledge needed to enter the field. We require that people who join our association prove that basic knowledge up front. The other association does not.

That was my experience with the NACHI and NHIE as well.

Paying ($195) for the “high stakes” NHIE does indeed add stress.

I fail to see any significant difference in the two tests as far as testing general HI knowledge. The NHIE is longer but I’m not convinced that it produces a more qualified HI in the end or should I say beginning of his career.

The other associations require it to move up in membership and to be advertised as a member of their organization. So does that really make one better than the other? Not really, they both have problems. Who is to really say that one method is better than the other.

It would be a real test of the profession and the various organizations if they would make a person pay to take an exam before they could join.

Exactly. The other associations require no exam to prove worthiness to join and to go out and perform fee paid inspections for clients as associate or candidate members. The exam is required for full membership. Thus, one association has about as many candidates as full members.

The only test of the profession by requiring someone to pay to take an exam prior to joining would be the honesty of the association. How many people would have to take the test two, three times or more? The test could easily become a profit center for the association by making it tricky, rather than a basic knowledge exam.

Good point.

All the reason to take the testing out of the hands of the associations and put it in control of a third party, like EBPHI. All of the various home inspector associations could then use this exam, as they can now. All testing would be equal and fair. The various associations would not have to worry and have the expense of keeping their exam up to date.

Oh yeah, lets get one great test and have one third party decide the test for all of the associations to use. Then we can make sure every association has the same SOP, COE and CE requirements, oh, and we can make sure that all of the benefits are the same. Why compete, we’re all home inspectors, and we all agree on everything…:roll:

Now we are talking - All testing would be equal and fair.

They are all pretty much the same now. SOP, COE and CE requirements are all close to being about the same. Yes, they have some differences, but they are all similar. Even NAHI has gotten back in line with the mainstream.

What would be wrong with having a standardized entry exam for the profession? It would establish the bar for entry into the profession. For the life of me I can’t see anything wrong or negative with a standardized entry exam for the profession that is administerd by a third party so it is equal and fair to all regardless of their professional affilation.