Excessive CYA in Reports

Another inspector asked me to watch this video:
Moving Beyond a CYA Mentality- Spectora Spotlight Clip - YouTube

BTW, I know the Spectora guys and think they are great, so my comments have nothing to do with Spectora.

I think excessive CYA can bloat a report without benefiting a client or the inspector. I usually see over-the-top CYA in the form of boilerplate disclosures and explanations that can turn a 50 page report into a hundred page report. I also discourage recommending further evaluation by an appropriate expert for everything regardless of what you see. But where I vehemently disagree with the Texas inspector in this video is including code references in an inspection and report. Obviously, so much of what we do includes recognizing code compliance, but I argue, that unless you know every single solitary code in every single code book, then you should stay way clear of saying a component is or is not code compliant. If your client gets the idea that you are doing a code compliance inspection, then you darn sure better be doing a code compliance inspection on everything. Just because this guy in Texas has not had problem making code references, doesn’t mean it is a best practice. I’ve never been sued in my 23 years, and while that may mean that I am good, it definitely means that I’ve been lucky. The only time I will pull out a code reference is when I am challenged. Otherwise, I make it clear in writing and in voice, that I am not a code inspector.

Regarding describing repairs: Saying that the smoke alarm batteries need to be replaced is certainly appropriate and low risk. Saying that the flame rod in the furnace needs be cleaned with 300 grit emery cloth is a whole different thing from saying that the furnace did not operate properly and needs repair by a HVAC tech. My two cents, is unless you want to own the repair, you leave how the repair is done to the appropriate tech or expert or contractor.

14 Likes

In many sample reports I have viewed, the introductory CYA clauses are terribly long, repetitive, and poorly written. But the worst part of all the disclaimers in the report intro is that they make the inspector seem incompetent before the client even has a chance to view the report.

5 Likes

I hate acronyms . If you are trying to save time by using one define what it is the first time used. Not everyone will know what letters stand for. Stop being lazy!

4 Likes

Maryland tells us what we need to include in the reports. Pretty much winds up to be the entire law as written. I include it with section numbers in the intro for each system but it is smaller type without paragraph breaks so it is fairly unobtrusive.

Never,never,never cite code. let me repeat that, “Never, never, ever cite code.” The phrase to use is “modern safety standards.” Everybody wants the latest safety standards for their family, and you don’t need to know the specific code edition for when that property was built or the addition was installed. My reasoning for not citing code has nothing to do with liability, it is simply the first thing the agent shoots down.

You are dead on about not suggesting the repair or further evaluation. Despite knowing by symptoms exposed during operation that the flame rod is dirty, I wouldn’t suggest that unless asked. The problem arises when the HVAC tech suggests a whole new system (which could be needed) and you suggested a simple repair. Big difference in money there and someone is not going to be happy.

There was a whole long thread somewhere about the need to suggest ‘further evaluation’ for every defect to CYA. That looks stupid. What did they hire you for? Most agents will throw you under the bus if you do that because they wind up second guessing the report and often trying to explain it away. So be it, I can’t protect people from their agents (that would cost extra, LOL).

Very insightful, thanks for your input.

2 Likes

Last time I looked no-one is posting for your approval.

1 Like

This is an actual sentence. Let’s see if anyone can decipher it!

IMHO, ARE =ADIH. TBH, FUBAR &2M2H. GIAR, PLZ! KISS.

1 Like

The whole world went to hell in a hand basket when rotary/push button phones were replaced by computers… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I use two acronyms. HVAC contractor. And AC for the air conditioner. And, I do have people ask me what an HVAC contractor is, so maybe I should reconsider :wink:

I do not use
TPRV
PRV
PR
WDO
WDI
etc…unless I Include in parenthesis what that acronym means.

5 Likes

What about GFCI, or GFI, and AFCI?

1 Like

Good ones, guilty as charged.

2 Likes

It’s a good idea to spell out acronyms in a report. I think most inspectors probably do so. I just didn’t think we had to spell out CYA in a professional inspectors forum.

1 Like

Let me esplane ow hrd it is to get yur fingers in the dial at the bar! Later when I sobered up somebody told me the bartender would have dialed for me. Too bad I couldn’t remember my own number.

4 Likes

Damn Bob! I would have thought the local operator would have just connected you… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

Offcifer take me drunk I’m home

3 Likes

From my report:
‘GFCI’ is Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. This is usually an outlet with the two push buttons, but may be a breaker in the electrical service panel .

I had a client calling them “GFI.” I did that too, until I got in this biz. So far, no one has asked me what a HVAC tech is. No one has asked me what CYA is either.

[Edit] oh shoot, “biz” is business…sigh.

3 Likes

In my humble opinion, an acronym rich environment is equal to another day in hell. To be honest. its fucked up beyond all recognition and too much to handle. Give it a rest, please! Keep it simple, stupid.

6 Likes

Just so you know, it is not an acronym unless it can be pronounced as a word.

2 Likes

FUBAR, IMHO

2 Likes

True …GFCI is a Gif Ceee
TPRV is a Tipper Vee
:wink:

I’ve never found a single case of an inspector being sued for using code and not citing EVERY code item.
The vast majority of inspectors are scared so they put so many disclaimers and CYA clauses and then they do a half-assed inspection so they can not be held liable for much of anything.

3 Likes