Expectations Vs. Reality

The group is the same as it has always been.

I believe it takes a mighty big person to admit that they are wrong and that is just what Janet did, after many years of attempting to get ASHI legislation promoted into licensing laws she has seen first hand the results and they have yet to meet the hoped for outcome.

Richard, there is no bait & switch plan being offered only the final realization that licensing legislation did not produce the intended results. We should neither gloat over or mock Janet but be thankful that it was not our money or reputation that that was at stake and find some common ground to move forward.

ASHI underestimated the power of “Independent” objections to their Legislation Goals.

Have they truly learned the futility of their licensing agenda?

I love the ignore button. :slight_smile:

I can not and do not speak for ASHI, but it appears from her candid talk that Janet has obviously seen the light. The question of will ASHI accept her findings is unknown and I do not have enough information to make a valid prediction.

But as for me and my house we will never again support bad HI licensing and we have yet to experience good HI licensing. Knowing what we now know it is doubtful that we would ever work to legislate HI licensing in Florida.

Bingo…

How can we dislike each other and agree on so much??

Lets not get wrapped around the axle yet – Information is needed not opinions

Jay if you want to carry the flag here in Florida then do so BUT at least keep us up to date — Please – and to help you out I suggest that anyone that hears something they better get the information to you.

Greg – good luck with the future of the Space Coast Chapter – Hope the members who ever they are give you a vote of confidence

Regards

rlb

Real simple

The move forward button is – gov stay out – market place and private courts rule

rlb

test

rlb

Richard - The position of the association toward legislation last year during the Florida legislative session was to fight any legislation that (1) showed any association bias, (2) put any home inspectors out of work, and (3) created unreasonable hardships on anyone wishing to enter the profession. I would hope that this position will be maintained throughout the next session.

If NACHI has as many members in Florida as it claims, then NACHI members in Florida may be the largest association. If so, then use those numbers to FORCE NACHIs official involvement. Either that, or use your trememdous numbers to push your own agenda.

Florida NACHI has the numbers. Be the 800 pound gorilla. You already have the insight and drive. Do something with it. Start now. Form an inter-chapter coalition for the benefit of Florida NACHI members. Vote the best of the best to represent you all. Have a press conference. A real one. State your agenda. Do it in plain sight. Again, have the press there.

You can do this. You dont need any other association’s permission. You dont need to collaborate with anyone. We proved it here in NJ. Show that you have no agenda.

Just do it.

I agree, Joe, that the machine should run totally in Florida with all Florida parts, but the backing of the largest home inspection association (not only in Florida, but) in the world could certainly enhance their ability to gain attention — not only from the media but from the politicians, as well.

Blaine Wiley speaking as a Florida inspector is one thing, while Blaine speaking as the president of NACHI is another, IMO. Hopefully, the messages that are sent to the legislature will be well coordinated and in tune with the total Florida agenda.

Understanding that there will never be complete agreement across home inspectors or associations is the reality we must all work with, that being said here is a list of dangers that are a detriment to all inspectors. Hopefully we can all agree that NO bill is better then a bad bill.

The Signs of a BAD Home Inspector Bill.

• Fair Trade Practice clauses
  • Politically appointed Advisory Boards
  • Association Bias
  • No limited liability clause
  • Bills that favor experience over education
  • Grandfathering of inspectors who do not meet the minimum education standard
  • Bills that do not represent all home inspectors within the state
  • Bills that lack clear language to protect consumers
  • Bills that lack enforcement
    Florida Home Inspector Licensing

No Bill is Better then a BAD Bill!
-OR-
We Won’t be Fooled Again!

Here are some lessons learned from those who have drafted GOOD legislation:

1. The bill that you struggle to draft that will address all of your interests and cover all of the contingincies that are important to you…does not read the same way when it comes out of committee.

2. The bill that is signed into law is not always interpreted and implemented in the manner in which it was originally intended. By this time, it is too late.

Legislation can look pretty good around closing time, but what you wake up in the morning with will have you regretting your first drink.

In a state where there is no legislation, the best fight (IMO) is to stop all efforts to sign any legislation into law.

As someone has said before-

“There are two things you don’t want to see being made—sausage and legislation.”

Joseph

You seem to have omitted any mention of the right of members to be governed properly such as assurance to fair and impartial hearings and accountability at the management level?

What are your opinions on licencing in this regard? This seems to be an overlooked issue with self regulation. I only comment on it because I believe we have a situation in Canada were self regulation has not resulted in any gains for the industry and is rife with sepecial interest and conflicts. It would seem to me you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

The Canada problem will be a larger problem with gov regulation. Look at the problems that we are having in some of our states with the issue of regulation.

As I see it the NACHI project is the rest of the nation that is regulated with problems – Start with Pa and move around.

I think Florida will be OK

In many areas Joe and I am not in agreement but in this area we are.

I even think many AS*** members are also in agreement that regulation is bad for membership in other areas where state have jumped on the HI’s.

Lets gets some information on the board of who is doing what to who.

We need FACTS

rlb

I am getting together with Harvey this week.

Ray,

I think I need to renounce my citizenship and become a Canadian…where the politicians are free from special interests and conflict.:wink:

James,

I switch my Canadian Citizenship for your American Citizenship. :slight_smile: