Experience of Nachi Members Who Work For a Company

I would like to hear from members that chose to work for a company instead of going on their own.

I want to transition from my current job to a licensed home inspector but unfortunately right now don’t have the resources to go on my own.

I talked to a multi-inspector firm the other day and what they offer is potentially OK money wise (assuming is not some bait and switch strategy), but there were some things that made me a little weary, like the fact that you use your personal vehicle, and if they ever assign you a work vehicle, you would pay for gas and tolls, which is a lot in this part of the country, and if you use your own they want you to use their company signs on it on top of that.

Just want to hear from you guys if this is a standard practice of if they are being a little greedy. I understand that I would not be earning a lot during training, but I sure would like to make the most I can afterwards.

I live in Orlando if that makes any difference.

They want you to use their signs so homeowners, clients, agents, etc. know who is pulling up to the home. It is not for advertising purposes and is not greedy at all in my opinion. It is just them trying to be professional. They may also require you to wear a company shirt.

3 Likes

Yes, I have no problem with company uniforms and company signage, just the personal vehicle usage and the gas and toll requirements gave me a little sour taste, but then again, I have no work experience in this field so I don’t know if this is a standard practice.

I would have to agree on the gas and tolls that they should cover those. Are they offering to pay extra based on your mileage to the property?

1 Like

Will you be a subcontractor or an employee?

They offer fixed salary and extra money if selling WDO and Mold inspections to clients, but no mileage or other sort of expenses.

They want to hire inspectors as W2 employees and have them carry with the travel expenses even if on their vehicles.

In other words, “We don’t care what your expenses are, here is what we will pay you, but if you can upsell your clients some extra services they probably don’t need, we will give you some crumbs.”

3 Likes

@mmontoya5 I would want non-taxable reimbursement for my mileage and tolls. (I do not know Canada’s tax code, but here it is an expense we do not pay taxes on for business purposes)

This job will tear up a car.

2 Likes

Not to mention, your employer will not want you driving a 1982 rust bucket. You are representing them when at a client’s property so a decent vehicle will likely be required.

Thats how I felt after that conversation. It sucks, because I want to start working as an inspector soon but really don’t feel like agreeing to something like that.

1 Like

That’s really the bottom line. How much they offered to pay.

1 Like

The flip side, and I mean this in a genteel way, you do not know anything and you have very little to offer to their bottom line. Your value as of right now is a warm body. The firms investment in you will be considerable.

Basically, you will be paid to become an inspector. It is not as bad as it sounds.

2 Likes

For sure, and you have to drive really long distances here in Florida and I am sure they are not going to be very considerate when they are not yhe ones paying for tolls and gas.

1 Like

Exactly, 100%

You can counter the offer. This would be my counter.
$.50 per mile plus tolls to paid as an expense reimbursement, separate check, no taxes taken out.

2 Likes

Brian makes a great point here. You are coming in green and will likely cost them a few dollars to get you up to speed. A big miss on an inspection may cost them thousands. I’m betting that if you do a good job, listen and learn, and actually show up to do the job day in and day out, they will upgrade you to a fully funded company vehicle in no time.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, don’t get me wrong, I am old enough to understand that an inexperienced hire can’t provide much value to a company at the beginning and I am ready to take a hit for several weeks or even months, it just that I wasn’t very optimistic after that conversation with the inspection company.

2 Likes

I am curious. What does their non-compete look like?

I don’t have any experience working for a multi-inspector company. But most if not all other industries that I’ve worked for or with either supply a company vehicle or they pay you an allowance for you to use your personal vehicle. This was a few years ago but some construction company allowances were in the 500-600 per month range.

The other stuff company uniforms and logo on the vehicle makes sense.

If they want you to sell services I’d request profit sharing or commission for anything I sell.

1 Like