Exterior & Interior meters

Home has an exterior meter with a 200 amp main disconnect below.

There are 2 feeds. One goes to a 100 amp sub in the detached garage.

The other goes to the house main 200 amp panel.

Q. Why is there an inside meter? The home has a geo thermal system. Is this for a tax savings for the Geo thermal system?

Q. Is the main panel in the house considered a sub? Do the nuetrals & grounds need isolation?

Q. Home has a central vac system and the 18 gauge wiring is spiced numerous times. Is central vac wiring required to have sploices in boxes or is it OK to be spliced with wire nuts?



110507 019 (Small).jpg

110507 055 (Small).jpg

  1. Not sure. Barring a rental space withing the residence, I’d assume some sort of demand metering system.

  2. From a pedestal meter, the house is not considered a sub-panel.

  3. With that low-voltage wiring system no splice boxes are necessary.

Was there an apartment at one time . In Canada you can have your own meters ( camp grounds do ) see no reason why not for an apartment. You are not allowed to charge any more for then what you mat no profit selling electricity.
Yes Central Vac are usually 24 volts control so free to do as they wish .

The house is a 1993 build.

There is no rental space that I am aware of.


FWIW, We have had the POCO install a second meter for the heat pump only since the homeowner got a special rate for it.
However this was never inside the house. :?:

Are there solar panels?


1.) The wiring above the panel board area is not supported properly within 12 inches of the enclosure. But then again just an observation.

2.) The bends on the SE going to ths supplimental meter system exceed the radius allowances of the bends for SE cable…But then again just an observation.

3.) The low voltage connections for the Central Vac System do not have to be spliced in the same demands of Chapter 3 for normal wiring methods. They are fine as they are as far as the splices go for the low voltage portion of the system.

4.) Now…Peter brings up something very interesting because the NEC says something built is a structure…so if the electrician built this setup, and it is the first overcurrent protection device…then it needs to be bonded as a main panel should and to the HOUSE would indeed need to be wired as if like a sub-panel ( which is a term I hate to use…lets try to use Remote Distribution Panel more in 2008 …shall we… )

The problem then is this…would that seperate structure require a GES of it’s own ( ie: ground rods )…and the answer would be yes to that question.

Now…if they had a meter ped. that simply houses the meter and then the service continued on to the dwelling…then I can see where it would not need the wiring within the main panel ( first disconnection location ) to be wired like a “Remote Distribution Panel”…so I guess I have to ask Peter to clarify that for me so I understand the context…maybe I am slow today…lol

Anyway…I have done many a house where the meter is away from the house…in some cases 50 feet…but the overcurrent protection device is in the dwelling right as it enters the dwelling…this my GES starts at that point…and would require proper bonding at the panelboard in the dwelling.

Again…in regards to the meter inside…I would have to see where it leads, what is is controlling, what the panel has it labeled for on the supply to the meter and that would tell me more…it is not good to ONLINE speculate without seeing it or touching it…so I cant help you on that one Dave…it would be simply me guessing and I dont like to guess.

It could be that the home owner installed a second meter to monitor the cost of the garage.

Yes but if that were the case why the POCO seal?

The meter may be for a load management system. See the utility rules for your area. I searched and found this, it might be what that meter is being used for?

Load Management](http://www.firstenergycorp.com/Get_Help_With/Saving_Energy/Load_Management.html)

… or it could be a meter for a heat pump see Exhibit 13?](http://www.firstenergycorp.com/Builders_and_Contractors/files/Form_115.1rev_2006.pdf)