exterior outlet

Originally Posted By: bandrews
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is this?

The homeowner had lived in this house for a year and did not know this exterior outlet existed (it was hidden by a bush). There were two plugs going into one outlet, both coming from the same spot in the ground. the first one plugged into the outlet and the other plug was inserted into the back of the first one. I could not find what this was leading to. Should I report further evaluation, or to leave it alone. The wires were well protected and weather tight, and there were no other electrical problems in the home.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Well, extension cords are not to be used for permanent wiring, so you could report that. I would have to bet it runs an light or other exterior item. That’s an odd find indeed!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Be careful with those, I once found one like that and the owner did not know about it, turned out the previous owner was very good friends with their neighbor, and they allowed both houses to use that for exterior holiday and landscape lighting.

Over the years (it was about 8 years old), the house was sold and the homes holiday lights not put up, and the landscape lighting removed ... but no one ever knew the neighbors house was connected from here ... ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

I would guess this is a feed for some sort of sump pump.

The first plug goes to a float switch and turns the power on and off to the plug that is plugged into the back of it and feeds the pump.

I would suggest further evaluation so they know what it is for.

It may be keeping the basement dry or just pumping roof run off water.

What ever it is doing I am sure it was installed for a reason. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Here is what one of these float switches looks like.

More Info

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: bandrews

It wasn’t sump pump. The home had a finished basement, with no signs of moisture problems. I’m calling for further evaluation.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

While they are at it, they need to replace that cover with one which is weather proof when in use and left un-attended.

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

I am suggesting someone burred a sump and sump pump outside the foundation, perhaps a French drain run around the foundation exterior dumping into a sump.

You would not see evidence of this in the basement.

But as I said I am guessing.

Any other ideas why you would have a plug like this running into plumbing pipe into the ground?

Some time clocks have plugs like that too.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“I could not find what this was leading to. Should I report further evaluation, or to leave it alone.”

Blain

Please never be afraid to say 'I do not know'!

Yes report it. It is cheaper to pay the electrician than your lawyer.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi,

I believe that Bob is correct. It looks to me like they have a pump
system for their septic. Check inside to see if you can find a "tank
alert" box with an alarm test on it.

I see that system alot here in NH

Carla