Exterior service panel dead front removal when raining?

Hi All!

I searched the archives but didn’t find much information on my question…

Do you pull the dead front cover on an exterior service panel while standing in the rain, even it does not test energized with a non-contact tester or the back of your hand? I know that I can easily become ground while standing in the rain, even with basic (not utility company grade) protective gear. An exposed wire that can come into contact with the DF while tilting it to be removed could prove deadly. I also realize that many inspectors on this forum live in very wet climates and inspect many homes when it’s raining.

Regardless that I charge at the upper end of my local scale…

…I don’t get paid enough to place myself in harms way… EVER!!

10 Likes

Thanks Jeffrey, that’s my take as well!

2 Likes

A light drizzle or sprinkle with the panel under a nice big soffit wouldn’t concern me much. But a heavy downpour with little or no soffit overhang, or standing in a puddle would. When possible, probably best to wait out the rain and do it later. Or if rain is forecast, do it first. As JJ said, no inspection fee is worth dying.

5 Likes

One of my stock disclaimers: “Front panel was not removed because the ground was wet beneath the electrical service panel.”

Safety…

5 Likes

Not… … I…:rage:

3 Likes

Outdoor panels are relatively rare in Portland but I’d certainly not play in one when it’s raining. In a similar vein there are a lot of roofs I won’t walk when raining but will when dry. On rainy days I use my phone weather app a lot to watch for breaks between showers so I can jump outside and get some things done. When I’m inspecting in Maui… well… never mind :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In a downpour on the panel, nope! In light rain or drizzle, it depends. A cover that opens up, shields the breakers from rain. A swinging cover door does not protect the breakers so I might not remove the deadfront if I think rain will fall into the open box. Since we are a dry clime here, it rarely comes up but the spring of 2015 was very rainy, and I did a number of inspections in the rain and had to consider this several times.

1 Like

2 Likes

I am at a loss for words reading this thread. Seriously, that is a question one, a home inspector, should not even consider.

I disagree. But that is why we have a forum like this and viva the differences!

2 Likes

Well… Robert does know from firsthand experience…!!

that’s a negative ghost rider…

2 Likes