Exterior siding

I think this is cement fiber siding. Am i right? And does it need to have a 1 inch clearance even though it is almost termite proof and does not get wood rot.

Regardless, where is the flashing…

The siding may not rot, but what about the sheathing behind it? Ever seen a masonry wall ‘wick’ water? All siding types should have clearance above the roof surface.

That does not appear to be fiber cement siding. It looks more like a Weyerhaeuser hardboard product called Cottage Lap siding. There are just not enough identifying knots visible to be sure. Any more photos? And it definitely need the 1" spacing from the roof shingles.

It just didn’t make sense so I kept looking. If you are sure it is fiber cement, it could be Certainteed textured Dutchlap. Not a product I have seen out here, usually just the straight board lap siding. Is till can’t find a big enough picture to verify the markings. Their installation instructions call for 1" at the roof surface. Find the instructionHERE, see pdf page 11.

Stephen is prolly spot on…

105 profile

http://www.floridacypress.com/Copy_of_drop105.gif

the swollen area at the nail-rust hole would have been a primo id location

surface or edge scratch in an inconspicuous location is another method, but is not recommended for the faint of heart

That picture is the kind of construction that drives me crazy. I really feel we will have a great need for inspectors more so than ever. That looks like new construction. Not sure about Oklahoma, but in Wisconsin we have freeze/ thaw conditions. Water will eventually cause leaks. That is totally not correct. Just see so much new construction not done properly. Read a report that training declined in trade industry.

Yes you are right about the clearance.
Counter and flashing for roof decking are required at headwalls and changing deck planes.
Buy an EZ pry bar. Do not be afraid to lift the shingle tab now and then. Know what you are doing though! Lift the shingle tab next to any wall plane. Look for defect or deficiencies. ( nail lift, clearance ETC.)
End of the flashing system is a good place to inspect. Where it terminates.
Also kick-outs are important.
Will not interfere with your SOP. Non destructive means.
Good call Mr. Clark:)
Suspect: roof flashing. ( You know the clearance issue. Write it up.)
Recommend licensed Roof and licensed siding installer do repairs and inspect for deficiencies.
Cut back siding 1.5" inches from the roof plane to stop any wicking of moisture into the hardboard composite.
Possible Repairs: Have a roofer inspect for possible flashing deficiencies and install a kick-out. ( if no kick-out is installed )
Cost: Its up to the HI. Do not do this if you do not know how. Can easily lead to litigation.

.:slight_smile:http://www.nachi.org/asphalt-comp-shingles-part18-72.htm

That’s great Robert! I have at least four of those tools. It used to be made by Red Devil and had a number on it 4050. It’s a great tool.

I agree with your assessment.

Billy, whether cement fiber or wood composite, neither should be in contact with other surfaces. The manufacturer’s installation instructions say so.

Not to slam you too hard, but if you inspected a house and don’t know what type of siding is on it, you need some more training or experience. You don’t need to know the brand, but the type of material should be obvious to any qualified home inspector.

Good point Mr.Funderburk.
I am investing in as mush knowledge as possible into my PC and brain.
The brain part. I don’t know about yet. HA HA HA
It is hard to know all the materials used for building residential homes without constant upgrading your data base.
You must visit your Home Depot or reno supplier as much as you can. Ask questions. Dig man Dig. Do the visual inspections on the floor of your hardware supply store. I walk the streets looking at homes for any clues to materials used, defects,and performing reports in my head for practice.
It will help you immensely.
Thanks Joe.
I needed reminding to. Anyone can think they know enough.
Its not true, you must never stop.
PS: Sorry for being such a hard azz.:shock: I am but a small part of the picture as compared to yourself. Lots to learn and humility and reflection being the first steps.
Sorry mate. Really.
And to anyone else I sounded off to before. I opened my mind. Sorry.
Sorry small posts from now on.:slight_smile:

When I first started, I didn’t know a dang thing. I’m still learning. We all are.

Thanks to all experienced inspectors who responded. I wrote it up as needing a 1 inch clearance and to check with manufactures specs on installation. And yes there was flashing behind the siding and under the shingles.