Farsetta vs. Thornberry. The Great Inspection Debate in NJ. Hot PIC...

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Still waiting for the picture for a close comparison Nathan!

BTW, IMHO Nathan is very incorrect about the real estate agent being our customer.

What makes the above sentence helpful is it gives me an excuse to let Agents know straight out that the inspection is "my"show.

I tell them straight out I am marketing for their referral only but that my service is good for “their” marketing.

Very easy if not of weak backbone.

The prospect, the customer, and the client are all one-and-the same… but in different stages of time.

An inspector’s job is to pull them through those stages (turning a prospect into a customer and a customer into a client).

New Real Estate Agent says to my Client! If we don’t know you we can’t use you.
I explained to my Client later about his abuse of Authority.
You are right Nick about Marketing to the good RA’s but this XXXX not a chance in HE double hockey sticks.

Does he know you now?

The realtor is not part of the relationship between the inspector and his client, who hired him. The inspector’s duty is to inform the client of the conditions of the property only. The realtor is not part of that process, unless the client chooses to bring them into the inspection process. Inspector’s who worry about the realtor’s opinion show a conflict of interest and motive that is harmful to their client. The inspector is suppose to be the one voice in the real estate process that works for the client only, because everyone else profits from the sale of the property. In the inspector’s world, the realtor should be invisible, because the inspector was hired by the client only.

The problem with the above position is that it can cause the inspector to loose money. Since some local realtor’s may not like his independent loyalty to his clients, they may cut him off from sending new customer’s his way.

He new me from before but just wanted to make it clear that he does not recommend me as I don’t do soft reports. He was in the House of the seller the whole time and following me like a lost puppy.
My Clients were quite surprised that he kept opening his mouth and stickin his foot in it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

BINGO! There are realtors who seem to think they are our customer and in reality we simplay are sharing a client. IF we both serve them well (I inspect well and report in an unbiased way, the realtor gives good advice and not acting as a used house salesman), we will help each other via keeping our clients best interest in mind. The REA’s who think this way are the ones I find I keep getting referals from.

The other ones who overstep their bounds and hate home inspectors, generally arent a good source of referals bacause they’d rather see me walk through say all goood here and not actually care if the client buys a good house a bad house or get slammed because it needs tons of work they didnt know about so long as they got the commission on it…

My thoughts on the ralationship between HI’s and REA’s

No… I’m easily bored and I cannot read your book or listen to your CD.
Just sayin.

Simply using one Chapter in Nathans book led me to speak with a Broker and he is referring me now.
Amazing!

Alfred e Newman wins this round.

dont you just hate it when a realtor you have worked with many times is selling a house you are inspecting for the buyer… I struggled hitting the send button on those… none the less, they go as a see em…

Around here they tend to specialize one side or the other.
Has not happened yet.

Would you please send that to all my competition. Thank you!

not selling as in selling, but selling as in the realtor is the home owner…

The bottom line with Nathan is that he should stick to selling RecallCheck and his 90-day warranty. They appear to be decent products.

The question I posed to Nathan and Nick was to formulate some marketing ideas for seasoned inspectors who have the reputation as being thorough or even hard inspectors, and where many realtoors (in a difficult market) are reluctant to refer for fear of killing the deal.

The response from Nathan was that the Customer and Client are not one and the same. The client pays for the report, while the realtor is the customer. He actually stated that I was reluctant to market to realtors because I have an inferior product. He then suggested that I should think about what i was saying in the inspection report and considering saying it differently to be more pleasing to the realtor. Sound familiar?

He also said that internet marketing and websites are not effective. The words he used were “not there yet”.

Nathan purports to have access to all sorts of things, including insurance actuarials. He claims they are easy to obtain, as he tried to convince me that inspectors are rarely sued. I challenge hiim to produce what he claims is so easy to get. He justifies what he says by asking inspectors who got sued recenntly. What he fails to realize that setting the client’s expectations is paramount, and it’s not whether the lawsuit has merit, but the fact that it costs one to defend it. he also fails to realize that many inspectors do not carry E&O and that a $10k claim can be devastating.

As to catering to realtors, I do not believe Nathan has ever read about the lawsuit against Housemasters a few years back. It’s an interesting read, and delves into a marketing strategy (and training) the franchisor pushed to the franchisee. The training went to building relationships and marketing to realtors. The judges opinion was interesting, and the course moving forward (as I recalled) forced Housemasters to remove that portion of the training.

Knowing P Diddy, he may start to spin his views of what happened. As to the “debate”, it will likely be ongoing.

As to Nate’s book, its not bad once you get past the Home Warranty and RecallCheck plugs. For those contemplating reading it, if you get ONE good idea, it is worth the investment. the sections from the contributing authoors was light, at best.

As to Recall Check, its a nice widget. Nate’s 90-day home warranty, if it operates as Nate represents it does, may be a means to mitigate some liability. It will need to be tested in a scenario where the stakes are higher than the cost of a dishwasher or refrigerator. I’m thinking foundation, roof, structural framing, or water intrusion. Most higher-dollar claims come after the 90-day period, so time will tell how the product may perform, or even morph.

As to Nate, if he would simply couch his commentary and consider that inspectors carry the highest risk and are paid the least in any real estate transaction, we’d probably get along. If he would admit that catering to the realtor is not necessarily in the best interests of the inspector or client, we may get along. If he simply stopped using this association as a means to an end, we may get along.

As to his characterization that those in attendance thought I was ranting, he was too busy “signing people up” for RecallCheck to notice the conversations inspectors were having with me. As to “signing them up”, what does that mean? My understanding is that RecallCheck is free, if you sign up for the alarm leads program. So, why not “sign up”? No risk and no cost. I’d hardly call that an endorsement or major accomplishment. Kind of like tryiing some free cheese at the deli while you are waiting in line for your order. It is a no risk/no cost proposal.

To alarm leads… wow. That brings back memoriies of the old Brinks alarm deal. Nate… didnt you hire that guy?

As I recall, the Brinks deal was a big point of controversy some years back. This is why it is so important for thoose to purport to be in the know havfe a sense of history, especially as it pertains to this association.

Just sayin’…

Finally, and to Nathan’s and Joe H’s comments regarding IAS, it’s doing fine. Not as large as we hoped it would be by this time, but fine nevertheless. As to independence from NACHI, it’s true. Although initially born from an idea that Nick had, it has since divorced itself from the association. This was years back. Name change. Open to all inspectors regardless of affilliation. Website no longer hosted by NACHI. Neutrals from outside this organization. We did this because a question was once raised by a plaintiff as to our ability to remain independent. This was during a court procedure where the arbitration clause compelling what was once NACHI-ADRS arbitration was being challenged. By the way, the clause was upheld, but we never wanted a subscriber to face a similar question in the future.

As to Joe H’s commentary, I could say the sky is blue, and Joe would say I was color blind. I expect nothing less from him.:wink:

At the end of the day, Nate is alive and well… I am alive and well… Nick got inspectors to stop snoozing during the presentation by having me poke Nate in the eye…

All is right in the world.

Then that would be my first certification job.

I don’t know what the argument is about, and I haven’t read Nathan’s book, but this comment is way off base.

Much of my competition believes this as well, which is why they’re performing 3 or 4 inspections per week, while I am performing 12 to 15 inspections per week.

The REA is not our client, but they are certainly part of the “relationship.” In most cases, the REA has been working with the client for weeks or months, perhaps even a year or more. I will only be interjected into this established relationship for a few short hours.

It is not my job to sell the house, and it’s not my job to condemn the house. It is simply my job to inform the client of the condition of the house. Many inspectors walk into a home as if they’re a “saviour” of some sort, with the intent of “tearing this house down,” and stomping on anyone who gets in their way.

It’s this “superiority complex” that keeps inspectors from maintaining relationships with REA’s. Then, when we show disrespect or contempt to the clients’ agent, the client is likely to feel equally insulted. At that point, not only have we alienated the REA, we have alienated the client and ruined any potential referrals from either source.

Like Troy said, keep passing this on to our competition. It makes it easier for us to stay busy and increase our market share :smiley: