Faux Stone! The next EIFS!

I saw the window this time.

I don’t have a problem with that as long as a strip of vycor was installed over the fin of the windows as required by most window manufactures and once the faux stone is done, a backer rod if needed and a good quality bead of sealant is provided between the window and the stone.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

At the sill the moisture barrier needs to be over lapped top down.

And as much as I hate tyvek Dupont flex wrap is a good product for sill flashings. But they have install issues imo to.

Then in the video they say 1/2 to 3/4 for the scratch that’s alot of extra weight hanging on 2.5 lath.

Imo 3/8 scratch is sufficient.

The 3/4 is like stuccoing the wall then adding another 3/8 to 1/2 on the stone when it gets stuck that’s a bunch of weight on 2.5 lath.

I agree Carl, and if I relate to the times of my old Man, when I was just full of piss and vinegar, he did show me to run strips of #15 felt around the perimeter of doors and windows.
The one on the bottom was always flipped up when the wall paper was installed.

Assumming in the video, that the caulking is done right should not be too much of a concern because the water barrier is lapped from bottom to top including the windows.

Old School!!

Everything that is Old is not bad and evrything that is New is not good!

Now how many of the windows nation wide do you think have the backer rod and sealant joint? Reguardless of the cladding on the structure.

Haven’t seen one yet other than the old masonite siding homes.
Most don’t caulk where it meets the brick moulding or vynle windows and doors.

Carl, I’m embarrassed, I am confused on which house I was talking about, the one I thought was done right. But I was thinking, the video you referenced advised that there be weep holes at the bottom of the wall, if there is no mortar in between the stones, what is to stop the water from flowing down, between the stones. Why would there need to be weep holes?

The system is basically a stucco job with rocks for a finish cote! The amount of water the mortar can retain is unbelievable and it needs weep out just like stucco,brick,and or stone.

And depending on the look they want there may or may not be mortar between the stones.

Hence the need for weepscreed as per ASTM.

Now that you mention it, I remember a wall in the video with mortar joints, all of the ones I have seen are drystack style. Thanks

I agree about the amount of water absorbed, I bet the stone is a whole lot heavier than Stucco though, they better have that lathe fastened good.

Imagine atleast a gallon of milk per sq.foot hanging on the wall for as long as the wall or lath will hold it! 3.4 lath should be the minimum for the lath! imo

Gotta love JLC.

Thomas,

Why do you say that about JLC?

Thanks for posting that one! Great info to have. I am seeing more of this type product on newer homes in our area.
John

John M. Wickline
JW Home Inspections, Inc.
Hilton Head Island, SC
JWInspect@hargray.com
JWInspect.com

I did a End of Warranty inspection where they installed synthetic stone…needless to say no weep screeds, in place, house wrap used, no caulking of any type…in general a crappy job…long story short, while the manufacturer suggest that same is in place, they wrote it so that same was optional…builders said that since it was optional he didn’t have to or need to install it. Check this out…the building inspector looked at the manufacturer’s instruction and agreed…it was optional.

I asked how the moisture was suppose to get out…(it’s on a slab)…nothing but silence.

I provided the homeowner the names, address and telephone numbers of everyone I spoke with including the inspection department officials and manufacturer reps including the VP…told them to have their lawyer give me a call if it ever becomes a problem (which it will).

Here’s one I had today. Weep holes on 1 wall only (garage). Looks like they scraped the mortar out after the contractor (or someone who knew masonry) told the non English speaking idiots they f#cked up. Oh well, too late. I can’t wait to see the stucco.

P2180017 (Small).JPG

P2180017 (Small).JPG

P2180052 (Small).JPG

P2180048 (Small).JPG

P2180049 (Small).JPG

P2180047 (Small).JPG