FBC for roof

I get it but, that is not the question on the form. Does the roof covering meet FBC at time of installation? and Yes it does. It does not ask if it meets the 01 code at time of installation.

tHINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I am sure some of the regular guru’s will chime in especially if I am wrong in my interpretation.

That is what is wrong with this sorry form. Way to much is yet again not in black and white.
The should just pay me to write the next form.

Ken, there was no FBC prior to 3/1/02. The FBC is the Florida Building Code. Prior to 3/1/2002 there was no “Florida Building Code”. Dade Broward were under SFBC, but that’s it. There was a Southern Building Code that most cities/counties tied to but it was not referred to as the florida building code. That is what the form is asking. And yes, unless there is a permit or an NOA number for if the roof was not permitted, for all roof surfaces, then the selection is “D”.

Thanks Glenn that clears it up

Very true Glen but Broward county also comes the 1994 code

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Meeker, the insurance company has a statutory right to request and expect this information prior to awarding the credit and any inspector that indicates Answer A or B for Roof Covering without this information is potentially in violation of 627.711(4) Florida Statutes.

The information is required in the form definitions. There are several acceptable means of indicating that roof covering is compliant with Answeers A and B.

Permit Application date after 3/1/2002; or, Product Approval Number that was current at time of installation either FBC or MDCA; or, The home was built in 2004 or later and the roof is original; or, The home is located in Miami-Dade or Broward County and the permit application date was after 9/1/1994, or the home is located in Miami-dade or Broward and the roof covering was replaced and has a permit application date after 9/1/1994.

For Palm Beach county, if the roof covering had a Miami-Dade Approval that was current at time of replacement before 3/1/2002 it would qualify for Answer B, the credit is up to the carrier.

In order to prove this you miust have at a minimum the date of installation, the manufacturer of the roof covering, the style or model name of the roof covering, AND the corresponding product approval number.

It’s knowing when to pull the weapon!

I agree with Glenn. There was no FBC prior to 03/01/2002.

The State of Florida first mandated statewide building codes during the 1970s at the beginning of the modern construction boom. The first law required all municipalities and counties to adopt and enforce one of the four state-recognized model codes known as the “state minimum building codes.” During the early 1990s a series of natural disasters, together with the increasing complexity of building construction regulation in vastly changed markets, led to a comprehensive review of the state building code system. The study revealed that building code adoption and enforcement was inconsistent throughout the state and those local codes thought to be the strongest proved inadequate when tested by major hurricane events. The consequences of the building codes system failure were devastation to lives and economies and a statewide property insurance crisis. The response was a reform of the state building construction regulatory system that placed emphasis on uniformity and accountability. The 1998 Florida Legislature amended Chapter 553, Florida Statutes (FS), Building Construction Standards, to create a single state building code that is enforced by local governments. As of March 1, 2002, the Florida Building Code, which is developed and maintained by the Florida Building Commission, supersedes all local building codes. The Florida Building Code is updated every three years and may be amended annually to incorporate interpretations and clarifications.

Source: http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2007FinalDraft/existing_building/PDFs/07Florida_ExistingBuilding.pdf

http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/information/building_commission.htm

Ken,

No it does not the first Florida Building Code did not go into affect until 03/01/2002. From the underwriters perspective how could it meet something that did not exist The aforementioned roof covering would have met the retirements for the code in affect at the time of installation which would have been the Standard Building Code in Palm Beach County.
The only way to prove compliance would be if the client had an extra bundle of shingles that had a Miami Dade product approval label, but even that would be suspect as the requirements for attaching underlayment and roof metals (part of the roof covering) became more restrictive under FBC 2001

ITs not that easy to find the product #

The product approval number will be on the back side cover of the bundle. :slight_smile: