Originally Posted By: Joe Skaggs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
Hi to all the inspectors out there!
I'm thinking about HI as a part-time side business for myself, and I'm curious about others' experience. Has anybody on this board built their business starting from part-time? Here's how I see the pros and cons shaping up.
1) I keep my current job.
2) I can weather a slow start-up period.
1) More evening and weekend time spent starting the business.
2) Limited availability (evenings and weekends)
3) Being perceived as a "dabbler" (although I don't have to tell people I have a day job...)
4) Less available time to MARKET the new business.
I've got some experience managing a small business, and I've learned about the importance of good marketing. I think #2 can be turned into a bonus, but #4 is a bit sticky.
I'm hoping that somebody who started his (or her, for that matter) business on a part-time basis will be willing to speak up about their experiences, and maybe even be a sounding board.
Thanks in advance!