Federal Pacific Panel opinion

Eric, was it just the panel brand, or was there additional issues, such as condition, size, over fusing, double taps?

Citizens has identified panel brand as a possible defect on their form. It is likely something they may be contemplating, or at least leaving it as a possible option.

It may only be an issue for previously uninsured properties. The rules change for property that has been uninsured.

I bet Michelle would know! :slight_smile:

It was a combination of things. First, was the fuse panel in the closet. Second was the FPE panel. She thought she was going to have to change just the fuse panel, but, the insurance company said she had to change both. It cost her $4,500.00 as she also had to update the panel to the existing code, as in G.F.I. and Arc-fault protection. They did give her 90 days to get the work done and this was after living in the home for a few months.

Apparently, the agent let it all go at closing, but when it got into some sort of review process, that is when the problems started.

Luckily, she was warned and got money at the closing for the replacement because I told her that the fuses would be a problem but the panel might be OK. There was nothing wrong with the panel and a friend of mine who did the work, has it somewhere.

If a panel is in good condition , just old and an agency says to replace it, what about the wireing? Its the same age, does it need to be replaced also, just because of age? If thats the case, my old azz is in trouble

The insurance companies make up their own rules as they are the ones taking the risk. Same thing goes for aluminum wiring, and polybutylene.

The age thing on the form is a game of cat and mouse. Anything over 30 years of age must have updates. I’ve seen Citizens send back a 4 pt for something built in the 80’s with all original outlets/wiring/panels etc but no updates. Say they added a pool in 2005 and you list the subpanel as an update, then they accept it, but the same house standalone with ‘no updates’, you probably won’t fly. Even if I see a new circuit added or something I list that as the ‘update’ and explain in comments, and haven’t had any issues, with no ‘updates’, I’ve had issues. Fed Pac panels are good for insurability so long as no other electrical issues are present and there has been an ‘update’ done to the system.

Be aware polybutylene was never “recalled”. The class action suite was settled before an official recall could happen.

Just some FYI as far as I know and could find. So be aware it has NEVER been recalled just the same as the FPE panels.

Just for FYI

You are correct, it never was recalled. I can tell you from first hand experience, we had it in our town-home, that several associations settled and may have some money left over from those that never made a claim.
Once we made our claim, just about everyone else in the development did…before the money ran out.

And Kevin, the FPE panels were never recalled and ther eis no stipulation anywhere that states they must be changed. The only people I know of that are requiring it,are the insurance companies. I am waiting to see what happens to a home I just inspected up the street. Zinsco main and FPE panels.

need to be replaced unfortunately