Fee calculator app?

Is there an app for the inspection fee calculator ?

Not really an app. But it works.

3 Likes

Is there an iPhone app that can be used in the field?

Why would you need one? Make a fee list on a piece of paper; photograph it with your phone; presto! If you need to get fancy make a pdf file and upload it to google drive. Now its available anywhere you have an internet connection and on any device with access. The rule for fees is simple: You must charge enough to stay in business AND feed the family.

There are two ways to get enough. One is to acquire more and the other is to desire less. G. K. Chesterton

3 Likes

Scotty,
Maybe I am old school, but I do not use an app to calculate fees. I use an appointment sheet I fill in that includes all of the information about the property. It includes my fee schedule that calculates my labor rate for square footage, add on for age, basements, out buildings etc.and anything else you want to charge for. Your labor rate will be dependent on your area and what you need hourly to make a profit and cover your costs.
For me it is simple and quick and keeps me from forgetting something.

(I have to give Larry Kage kudos for this as I believe I plagiarized his appointment sheet he shared a few years ago). :grin:
Good luck and whatever you use,make sure you know your costs so you can make money!!

4 Likes

Yup, old thread, but always relevent, especially in these complicated times…

This is the most important factor above all else. If you don’t know your true costs, you will likely ALWAYS undercharge and lose money, thus go out of business in three years or less!
Knowing your true costs will allow you to “wing it” when on the roof or in an attic when those pesky phone calls that only ask “how much” come in! You should have a general idea of what a home type/size fee is, and how much for travel fees within your basic service area, which allows at least a semi-educated ‘guess’. Worse case scenario, you miss out on profits for that job, but you will never lose out on what it costs you to provide the service. Make a few mistakes, and you will quickly learn for the next time.

Interesting. Curious for an update if he ever survived the ‘three years’…

2023-12-28_060844

3 Likes

He’s been quiet JJ, I wonder also.