Fee paid inspection deffinitioon

Originally Posted By: jstewart1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Mr Peck

When they say 90 hours of training, just exactly what are they asking for?

I have not attended any formal (ITA, American, or other classes) training.

will the continuing education at NACHI count? I want to have a head start if I need specific training.

jerry stewart

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Jerry’s post on the make up of the Florida HI licensing law that will be submitted in 2005 is the reason that I have gone from vocally opposed to neutral.

I doubt that I will ever support this bill due to the fact that I have not found anything to date that would lead me to believe that the consumer is regularly cheated in the normal course of a home inspection, even if that were the case there is nothing in this bill that would change that on a per-inspection basis. To me it seems that the only entities that would be guaranteed to benefit from this bill are the home inspection schools and the testing institutes, as newbies would be required to complete a 90-hour course and pass a test.

Let me explain, I would like to stress that my opinion no way negates the effort of many people over many years to craft legislation that could receive broad backing, have a hope of passing, and stand as a foundation for improvement to our profession. In other words, I no longer believe that this bill or its supporters are seeking protectionist legislation, from what I have learned over last weekend it is plain to see that they only have the best intentions for our profession and can be trusted.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Mr. Burkeson,

I put a lot of weight in the remarks you make, and I hope you will continue to post on this subject. I will watch for those posts, and also Greg's and Jerry's. Thank you

Jerry Stewart

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

Can someone send me a link, if it exists, or more info on the proposed FL rule. Off list would be cool

Thanks
Rob Z.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: gbell

We heard about the proposed legislation last weekend in Orlando at the FABI seminar. State Representative Bob Allen is sponsoring the bill. Since I live in his district I will contact his office to see if a copy is available.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Greg or Joseph,

Would the proposed bill put me out of business?

I did not take any formal training
I am new to the HI business
My experience is limited to 30 years as a plumber-builderand remodeler, real estate agent, property casualty agent(I come from a small town in northern Mi, we had to wear several hats to make ends meet)
What choices do I have? Hypothetically.
Im not asking you to etch this in stone but would like your best estimate on my fate. I did read Mr Pecks post, are those the only requirements?

Jerry Stewart

Worst case you would have to take some approved training.

Then pass an approved test.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

That doesnt seem so bad I passed the NACHI test icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the info

Jerry Stewart

Just to be on the safe side I would suggest that you pass the NHIE or the FABI test.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Greg,

How would I go about taking one of those tests?

NHIE

http://www.homeinspectionexam.org/

FABI

www.fabi.org

You have to join to take their test.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Mr. Burkeson,

If there is no hue and cry from the general pulic.

The people of Florida arent getting ripped off by dishonest HI's.

The established home inspectors arent being protectionists.

What is the purpose of a bill to license HI's.

It seems to me from what Ivm seen, that the state of the inspection business in Florida is just fine the way it is

I could be wrong, and would like to hear your ideas.

Jerry Stewart

jstewart1 wrote:
It seems to me from what Ivm seen, that the state of the inspection business in Florida is just fine the way it is

I would like see the application the Hippocratic Oath when it comes to licensing Florida HI's and 'first do no harm' that being said I am a realistist and the writting on the wall is plain for all to see. We will get an HI licensing bill passed in Florida, if not this year then next. Because the forces who are promoting this bill have crossed all their T's, dotted all their I's, have good political backing, paid their dues over the years and are well funded.

From what I have learned of last year's attempt to get legislation passed it was all but fait a compli. Yes, there was active vocal opposition in Tallahassee from a few sources but it had no real effect on the passage of the bill. The one and only reason the bill didn't pass last year is it was held with others as a political move in an election year and had no real opposition. The truth is that apart from last years political shenanigans we would already have had to face HI licensing.

That is why when you see this year's version of the bill it is literally unchanged, the proponents of this bill are so sure of its passage that all they need do is send it up again. Forewarned is forearmed, but in this case all Florida inspectors should be ready to conform and comply with the reality of HI licensing.

--

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Greg or Joseph,

How much harder is the NHIE test or the FABI test than the NACHI test?

Im not opposed to taking a new test, I just want to know what Im up against

Thank you for your time to answer my questions. NACHI is lucky to have you and some of the other inspectors, that give of their time to help educate the new people. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

jstewart1 wrote:
How much harder is the NHIE test or the FABI test than the NACHI test?

I can't speak for the FABI test but the NHIE is psychologically tougher in that you have something real to lose. First you have to pay 185$ to take the test, then you have to make an appointment, go to a strange environment, lose a day's pay, you can see how the pressure builds. It is not the same for the NACHI test, that can be taken under conditions you control, all tests are a head game, don't let yourself be psyched out.

Remember, testing has more to do with uncovering weakness than certifying strength in any particular area, when you look at it this way, it allows you to use the results to improve your skills.

--

~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Greg and Joseph,

I just dont see the need to get the government involved in something that obviously doesnt need fixing. Iv always believed that the less government involvement the better.

But so be it. Ill just do what has to be done. Who knows, maybe there will be some subsidies down the road. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Quote:
Remember, testing has more to do with uncovering weakness than certifying strength in any particular area, when you look at it this way, it allows you to use the results to improve your skills.

That wouuld be great - and was also my plan - except you can't find out which questions you missed on the NHIE, and they are really pissy about you leaving with notes that could indicate areas and questions you think you may have missed and would like to look up.

In my opinion, this is a major failing. But I'll survive....