Fees--We are suckers...

Great idea this has worked with other groups who did stand together .
I think not to many Homies could be relied on to do some thing like this .

Full horsehair wigs aren’t cheap. Current rates in Australia. (about the same in US dollars)

Regular Bar Wig for Barristers. $1000.00 AUD
Bench Wig for judges. $2799.50 AUD
Full length bottomed wig. $3800.00 AUD

Ouch…

Maybe it’s time to put something together to present to MCS while the licensing discussions are going on? Like base hourly rates, base fees for square footage, etc. So nobody is being undercut and we get the price we deserve?

Done already by me Tyler along with many many more conversations about Ethics and conduct within Associations.
Very few Association’s are coming out without a scar except InterNachi.
Right now the support is with “Certified Master Inspector” and the efforts from Nick to help all Veterans regardless of Association background get recognized for grandfathering.
I don’t agree with the website presence for Newbies unless there is a distinction clear as day. Nick has recognized this need also.

Interestingly enough, in the negotiations going on in Québec, the average “measuring stick” fee figure presented for the same was $600-650! And this figure in no way represents the average fee charged by the average inspector for the average inspection! In the Outaouais/Ottawa region, severe competition has shaved this down to more like $400.

G

No I am not kidding:

Have you guys ever thought of working to rule? How long do you think it would take for realestate transactions to grind to a halt if inspectors refused to inspect for a week and made some demands of their own for their own professional and business interests?

As to what I charge; I have always charged well above the competition and charge more than what I see on the website of those who are posting on this Cdn thread. My minimum is $460 and if someone doesn’t want to pay thats fine they can find someone else with less experience and who is most likely soliciting Realtors for work, something I do not do.

I was told that the fees are what the market can bear. Of course, the real estate market is different in any area, however all realtors get 2.5% for bringing in the buyer. Home inspectors, on the other hand, are talking about dollars per inspection. But due to the variety of services and specific market conditions we will never agree to charge the fair rate. Why don’t we go by percentage as well?

Our cut should be around .40%.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ray, your charges are based on the house prices. And that is essentially what I suggest everyone will do. If we can all agree to charge anywhere from 0.1 to 0.2% from the listed price for the standard inspection we will all do just fine.

Horrible idea. I inspected a home in 2007. It sold for $469k. I inspected that same house in 2009. It was now a repo. Sold for $245k. Why should I lower my price because the price went down?

What if it is a real crappy house? With major and NUMEROUS defects. The price will be lower because of the condition but my work load will be much higher. And for a lower price?

You guys are nuts.

I don’t know any house in Toronto that lost its resale value. POS is an exception and could be dealt with accordingly. I’m talking about the market value of the property.

Not nuts, but smart, and secondly I don’t do repros so that is a moot point. Also I have yet to do an inspection of a house that sold for less than it did 2, 5, 10 years ago.

Your area is obviously different. So i don’t think its apples to apples.

Yes Yuri everyone needs to get on board and set realistic prices based on percentage or selling fee with a minimum base price.

Fwiw, my clients don’t balk when I tell them my inspection fee.

Based on client feedback my clients tell me they are getting good value for their money.

You cant go by price, the square footage base is the way to go. You win some you lose some, but the lowest price homes, may be smaller, but are more likely to have the most work involved, as well as the most liability and hazard to us.

I’m fine billing by sf

I dunno, Mike. For me it’s easier to inspect 3000 sq.ft newer home than 60 years old 1200 sq.ft bungalow. The price though in my area will be very much on par.

Agree with Stephen…:slight_smile:

Three weeks ago, I exposed an InterNACHI (also AIBQ) member who was wholesaling “inspections” for $99 a pop on Groupon!!! There were NO real responses from fellow members nor from the offending party: Ralph Karazivan!! So are we to blame for this??

G

](http://www.nachi.org/email_member.htm?id=26425)

So if you have a client that is buying a repossessed home and call for an inspection, you don’t do it? Repos are common.

Not sure where you are but just about every home in the US lost value between 2007 and 2009, many of which still have not reclaimed their original sale price. Sure there are exceptions but I would venture to say that 90% of homes lost value. I don’t want my inspection fees to be tied to an unrelated sales / list price.

The biggest I have done was a bed and breakfast. Sold for $1.6 million in 2005. My clients bought it for $863K in 2011.

Our market areas are totally different. Up here we have never had the housing collapse that was experienced state side. As for my biz I am doing estates and inspections for people relocating to the country from the city, such as weekend homes, estates and farm properties, cottages.

Wow!!! I have to agree with Nathan.
Still would like to see us get about .40% of the House sale, thing is our Inspection may not sell the house and it needs to be reasonable for the Client buying a house, all because they are looking for just the right place.
It is not uncommon for a Client to look at 3 houses before an actual purchase is made. That adds up to big bucks out of pocket very quickly.:frowning: