FHA Inspections

Get all the info here Use this form

I’m on one of those list, thanks to a little help from you. :wink:

But to perform a home inspection for someone getting an FHA or VA loan you do not have to be approved or certified by anyone.

Not that I know of. FHA and VA have separate appraisers do the appraisals.

To do a FHA inspection for a bank or mortgage company on new construction you have to be an approved FHA inspector.


Got a list where can find these approved inspectors?

So how many inspections has anyone done as a result of being on the “list”? Just curious.

Chris and Linas, have you guys taken the exam already?

Same link you posted and the same list you are on https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/insplook.cfm?in_fha=No


Wrong… FHA does not require anyone to be certified, tested, listed or anything else UNLESS you are working on a 203K rehabilitation loan. FHA does not require a home inspection, although they recommend one.

With new construction, the appraiser determines if the construction is completed or not. If it is not completed per the appraiser, the home must have a “final inspection” performed. That is usually the AHJ that issues the CO. If a “home inspector” or fee inspector files the final inspection, it must be done on HUD form 92051. I sure would not issue a “final inspection” as long as there is an AHJ that issues a CO. What would happen if a “home inspector” final inspection was performed and the AHJ did not issue a CO? Who is responsible? It sure won’t be me for a 300-500 dollars.

In your world things may be different. To complete a CIR you have to be an approved FHA inspector. What part of that do you not understand??


If the property is under construction and NOT 100% complete at time of appraisal:

[li]The appraiser must have a complete set of the plans and specifications and the Builder Certification in order to do the appraisal (as described in Section C).[/li][li][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]The appraiser will perform the appraisal and call for a final inspection to be completed by a FHA Fee Inspector; or, when applicable, the local authority or equivalent. The appraiser will make the following statement on the appraisal report: “Property under construction; complete according to submitted construction exhibits.” [/li][li]When the final inspection is completed by a fee inspector, the inspection will include photographs as noted in Item 1 above along with a statement on the HUD-92051 as follows: “This is a newly completed dwelling that was not completed under HUD or VA inspections. The dwelling appears to be in conformance with the submitted construction exhibits.” Please see: HUD Handbook 4145.1 Chapter 6-3.[/li][/ul]Chuck

Once again, why would a home inspector take the responsibility and liability of a “final inspection” where there is an AHJ responsible for that? And again, what happens if the AHJ says that no CO will be issued due to some unforeseen issue?

We are performing a home inspection, not an inspection for building completion purposes. Well beyond our SOP.

When you read “fee inspector” they are not talking about a HOme Inspector. They are talking about some one that does building code inspections in lue of the building dept. as excepted in some jurisdictions.


This inspection is not within the realms of any SOP other than that of the requirements of HUD/FHA when it pertains to 203/k or other rehabilitation inspections.

Paul, My point exactly. Read the original question in post 1. He asked about special requirements for performing FHA inspections. He did not mention the 203k program, I did. As I stated before, for the average Joe buying a home with a FHA loan, there is no special list or form a home inspector must fill out, there is no requirement to be approved by FHA or HUD.

Under certain circumstances other than a 203K there are requirements to be an approved FHA fee inspector and on the FHA fee inspector roster.


And the fine for not following those rules runs in the lines of $10,000.00. So if you are not on the “approved list” I suggest you don’t do them.

Please expound on that statement. Name a FHA loan that requires a Home Inspection or a Home Inspector performing a normal home inspection to meet any requirements. Once again, not a “final inspection” for the home completion or a 203k program loan. A buyer home inspection. It will be interesting since HUD does not require a home inspection at all.

There is a traditional home inspection which has nothing to do with HUD/FHA. HUD/FHA recommends all home buyers have one, but they do not require them, and don’t recommend inspectors for them. (There are no special forms for them.)

There is a HUD/FHA “inspection” that is done by the appraiser, in which you have to be a HUD/FHA approved appraiser. Really has nothing to do with us, but you will occasionally get a call for them. When I do, I have an appariser that I know that I sub out for them. It is basically an appraisal, along with some additional forms verifying that there are sinks in the bathroom, and windows in the bedrooms, etc.

There is also something called a HUD/FHA Fee inspector, in which you have to be a HUD/FHA approved inspector. There is an application, and specific forms that need to be filled out. If you are filling any of the HUD/FHA forms without being an approved fee inspector, or approve appraiser, you could be seriously fined. These are not traditional home inspections, but more a verification that a new home has been completed, or that repairs previously required are completed.

If a builder is going to be selling a home that could possibly be sold with an FHA loan, then it needs to meet HUD guidelines. The is where the fee paid inspector comes into play. Yes, it can be done by the appraiser and many do them. However, with appraisers running scared from previous years of screw-ups many are no longer doing them.

This year I have already done 7 such inspections, most are rural and do not have any code inspections except for the state of TN electrical inspection. Three inspections at $150 and the final at $200 are the going rates in my area.

If you are listed on the HUD roster you will have a number, my number is L-563 and for 203K my number is A-856.

You will not make a ton of money doing them, but it does get your name around with the various lenders in your area. I can’t tell you how much additional business I have seen over the years from the HUD work I have done for lenders.