Finally, finally a mortgage company with a brain

Today I got a call for a home inspection. Private sale, buyer told me his mortgage company requires a home inspection!

I think this is the area we need to focus our efforts - Mortgage and Insurance Companies.

They should both require mandatory home inspections.

The provincial government is pushing for mandatory energy audits?!

High efficiency furnace but the house is not structurally sound and the electrical issues are an imminent fire hazard!

We see the priorities are not of sound minds.

All the best to all inspectors in this confusing market.

Once they mandate your services, the next step is to mandate what your fees will be.

I have been told by several of my clients the mortgage company wants an inspection by someone qualified. Happy it is working out that way in your neck of the woods.

PS: Allan, you not a member?

Thanks Allan great to hear .
Now if we can get the Canadian associations talking and cooperating with each other this could be fantastic .

thumbs up.jpg

As long as we have an association or two that can only see things their way, don’t hold your breathe. On on more positive note - at least some see where common ground benefits the “profession” as a whole and continue to work towards bettering inspectors in Canada.

Claude, I think Roy has the right idea.

As Red Green notes; “I’am pullin for yea. We’re all in this together.”
See we don’t have to agree on everything. It can be as simple as starting by what is beneficial to us all. It appears mortage companies are ahead of the curve. This should be a talking point to MMP’s.

Great post Roy.
Thanks Allan.

Just like many inspectors, with the down turn in business we have to prioritize where we spend our monies.

I have heard that there are many inspectors that have left the business.

Also due to lack of revenue many franchisees have left and gone on their own, with battles from the franchises.

This is the first positive feedback I have had from outside of the the real estate industry itself.

I hope that mortgage companies and insurance companies will see that our services help protect the consumer and there associated institutions.

PS the Canadian dollar is so low against the US dollar, we should be looking at inspecting across the border and make an extra 35%??


For Canadian inspectors working south of the border presents whole different problem, from a legitimate sense.

I,m not saying it is impossible, but having done volunteer work for Habitat down in New Orleans area after Katrina, certain paper work and permissions were required.

Crossing the border with tools and a ladder, would certainly raise a lot of questions at most border crossings.

Not to mention that many border states have licencing legislation in place.


Nice thought Allan, but you may find that difficult, and not as profitable as you think.

Working in the U.S. is not as easy as one would think. Even as a fellow North American we need a visa to work in the U.S. unless you are a green card holder.

There are a number of work visas you can get. You could opt for an O-1, TN, L-1 or H-1 visa. TN is only open to Canadian Citizens (and Mexican citizens).

O-1 and H-1 are available to a Citizen of any country, but are mutually exclusive.

O-1 requires extraordinary abilities n the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, with sustained national or international acclaim and a demonstrated record of achievement or achievements recognised in the fields through extensive documentation. That pretty much rules every Home Inspector out.

TN is available to Canadians who have any of these skills:

[li]Accountant (baccalaureate, CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA)[/li][li]Actuary (Subcategory of Mathematician, below. Must be in a U.S., Canadian or Mexican professional actuarial association or society.)[/li][li]Agriculturist/Agronomist[/li][li]Animal breeder[/li][li]Animal Scientist[/li][li]Apiculturist[/li][li]Architect (baccalaureate or state/provincial license. Also see Landscape Architect, below)[/li][li]Astronomer[/li][li]Biochemist[/li][li]Biologist (Includes Plant Pathologist, below.)[/li][li]Chemist[/li][li]Computer systems analyst Must have:[/li][LIST]
[li]baccalaureate or[/li][li]post secondary diploma *and three years’ experience[/li][/ul]
[li]Dairy Scientist[/li][li]Dentist (DDS, DMD, or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Dietician (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate or 3 years’ experience in claims adjustment, and[/li][li]completed training in appropriate areas of insurance adjustment pertaining to disaster relief claims[/li][/ul]
[li]Economist[/li][li]Engineer (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Entomologist[/li][li]Epidemiologist[/li][li]Forester (baccalaureate or state/provincial license) (Also see Sylviculturist, below)[/li][li]Geneticist[/li][li]Geochemist[/li][li]Geographer[/li][li]Geologist[/li][li]Geophysicist[/li][li]Graphic Designer Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate or[/li][li]post secondary diploma *and three years’ experience[/li][/ul]
[li]Horticulturist[/li][li]Hotel Manager Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate in hotel/restaurant management or[/li][li]post secondary diploma * in hotel/restaurant management and three years’ experience in hotel restaurant management[/li][/ul]
[li]Industrial Designer Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate or[/li][li]post secondary diploma *and three years experience[/li][/ul]
[li]Interior Designer Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate or[/li][li]post secondary diploma *and three years’ experience[/li][/ul]
[li]Land Surveyor (baccalaureate or state/provincial/federal license)[/li][li]Landscaping Architect[/li][li]Lawyer (member of state/provincial bar, or LLB, JD, LLL, or BCL)[/li][li]Librarian (MLS, or BLS. BLS must be one for which another baccalaureate degree was a pre-requisite)[/li][li]Management Consultant Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate or[/li][li]five years’ experience in consulting or related field.[/li][/ul]
[li]Mathematician (Includes Actuary, above.)[/li][li]Medical Technologist/Medical Lab Technologist (Canada)/ Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate or[/li][li]post secondary diploma *and three years’ experience[/li][li](U.S. job must be in a laboratory to perform chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, or bacteriological tests, and analyses for diagnosis, treatment or prevention of disease)[/li][/ul]
[li]Meteorologist[/li][li]Nurse, Registered (must have state/provincial license)[/li][li]Nutritionist[/li][li]Occupational Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Oceanographer[/li][li]Pharmacist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Pharmacologist[/li][li]Physician (teaching and/or research only, MD or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Physicist[/li][li]Physio/Physical Therapist (baccalaureate or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Plant Breeder[/li][li]Plant Pathologist (Subcategory of Biologist, above.)[/li][li]Poultry Scientist[/li][li]Psychologist (must have state/provincial license. Cannot qualify with just baccalaureate degree)[/li][li]Range Manager/Range Conservationist[/li][li]Recreational Therapist[/li][li]Research Assistant (baccalaureate and U.S. job in a post-secondary educational institute)[/li][li]Social Worker[/li][li]Soil Scientist[/li][li]Statistician[/li][li]Sylviculturist/Forestry Specialist (also see Forester, above)[/li][li]Teacher (baccalaureate degree: must be coming to work for a college, seminary or university only); no secondary or elementary school teaching.[/li][li]Technician or Technologist, Scientific. (E.g.: Electronic engineering technician.) Must:[/li][ul]
[li]work in direct support of professionals in one of these disciplines:[/li][LIST]
[li]possess theoretical knowledge of discipline, and[/li][li]solve practical problems in discipline, or apply principles of the discipline to basic or applied research[/li][/LIST]
[li]Urban Planner[/li][li]Veterinarian (DVM, DMV, or state/provincial license)[/li][li]Vocational Counselor[/li][li]Writer, Technical Publications (Technical Publications Writer) Must have:[/li][ul]
[li]baccalaureate or[/li][li]post secondary diploma *and three years’ experience[/li][/ul]
Home inspector is not on that list. You might be able to sneak in under “Technician or Technologist, Scientific” but you’d have to work in support on another professional. So you would be getting the full-whack.

You could apply for an H-1 but you need a specialized bachelors degree.

Even with a TN visa, you can be denied at the border if the CBP officer decides that on a prior visit to the U.S. you breached immigration terms, had a criminal record (even misdemeanors), had been refused entry for ANY reason (including forgetting your passport at the airport) or just told a bad joke at the CBP desk. (All of your visits to the U.S. for, at least, the last 15 years are on record.)

Other types of Visas exist, such as the B-1 or there’s the visa waiver program (ESTA), but all of these ban you from “entering the wokforce” in the U.S.

If you created a U.S. Company, you could get in on an L-1. Then you would have to file U.S. Federal Taxes for you and the corporation, U.S. state taxes for you and the U.S. corporation, and pay city taxes where due. In licensed states you would have to obtain a license to practice, and in some jurisdictions your U.S corporation would have to get a license to operate.

In addition, you’d have a more complex tax scenario here at home, as the CCRA would likely audit you a lot more, and you’d have to be aware of the money laundering laws for inter-border funds transfers.

There are ways to circumvent the personal tax handling, but you’d need the assistance of a damn good inter-border specialist in accounting and tax-law, and that’s going to cost you.

Then once in the U.S. you would be competing in the same playing field as other inspectors, and from we see here, the U.S. inspection prices are lower than Canadian prices.

The exchange rate would have to be a lot more more than 35% in our favour for me to even bother to try and get my head around which way I would choose.

Working in the U.S. without a Visa is considered “improper entry” . For the first improper entry offense, the person can be fined (as a criminal penalty), or imprisoned for up to six months, or both. For a subsequent offense, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both.

You have been duly advised.

Good points Claude.

and equally fierce competition and lower prices for inspections :smiley:

Having been a holder of both L1 and TN class permits back in the corporate days, I can confirm this is not a “green light” for entry and certainly not an authorization for openly working. I also totally agree that trying to get the correct permits is an incredibly tedious and possibly lengthy project which is also VERY costly!

This is certainly even more complicated as there is a big push for work/job protection in the US at this time.

Best regards,
Pat :slight_smile:

I believe their is more that one Canadian who does inspections in USA .
Also I think more than one American who does teaching and inspections in Canada

They have a rental Bought new tools in USA and left them there .
With email and a USA phone too simple .

I say again:

"Working in the U.S. without a Visa is considered “improper entry” . For the first improper entry offense, the person can be fined (as a criminal penalty), or imprisoned for up to six months, or both. For a subsequent offense, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both.

You have been duly advised."

Also to be noted: Fined or not, at first offense, one may be permanently barred from ever entering the USA.

Trying to find creative ways to bend the system or stating “that many do it” is just simply a foolish, careless and ignorant approach.

I have duly opined in one of the recognized, UK based, official languages!

Have a nice day!

Be careful what you wish for. I know it’s slow up there but talk to some appraisers in the states and see how they like the new set up. They have to bid on jobs and are actually making less money in alot of cases. Also there are now “in house” appraisers working for an hourly wage. This is what will happen if home inspections are mandatory down here. It’s already set up with the a.m.c.'s in place. You will also see a huge increase in inspectors. Hoping for help from the government and corporations… well…need I say more?

Geff, Appraisers up here have the same problem. The market is managed by the lenders and their agents. All appraisers either have to bid on work (private appraisals) or accept appraisal engagements at set prices (by the AMCs).

If the situation traverses across to the Inspection profession, and we end up with IMCs, every inspector in Ontario would have to be registered for WSIB coverage and issue a WSIB clearance certificate on EVERY inspection obtained that way.

That’s something I’m sure the WSIB would love to see.

That will open up whole new cans of worms, inspectors will have to decide who they are working for, their clients, the mortgage company, or insurance. Ontario requires a safety inspection for used cars, think of all the ways that was abused by mechanics and car buyers.

I advise my clients to keep their inspection reports to themselves and never show them to their mortgage or insurance company, especially if I have found perfectly good aluminum wiring that has been working fine for the past 40 years, or a 60 amp service that is not being over loaded.

If Insurance or mortgage companies want home inspections let them pay for it, then I will then know my clients are, and there will be a lot fewer home sales and much less business for those risk averse profit at no cost blood suckers.