Find the defect, win nothing.

Possibly the ledger board is bolted (or not) to the brick facade along with the service line…

Electric cables clearance and posts/ledger boards connections comes to mind.

Take notice of the lattice that was installed next too the mast head.

Taking the above comments in mind, my simple question is: do you not require a beam under the deck joists in Chitown? From the pics, I cant see one. Around here, thats a no-no, a big no-no.

Yeah the feeders run under the porch and that was caught Jeff.

Chicago has very strong codes that never get enforced unless the city feels like getting to it.
If you request an inspection it takes around 2 months for them to look and of course if you are an owner you will get fined.
Typical 3 story will set you back around $10,000-$20,000 to rebuild depending ,over here .

Beam. A horizontal member that is used to transfer or carry the load from one
member into another. Beams typically support joists and are typically supported
by columns and walls. Sometimes, beams are called “lookouts” or
“girders”.
Beam Pocket. An opening in the building wall that supports the end of a
beam that runs perpendicular to the wall.

How about the one big one…ledgers are attached to the brick veneer.

Jeff

Looks like a 1928 building Jeff.It even has the old battleship grey porch paint left in place along that exterior light conduit.

We have a winner!!!

Yeah, looks like the “flippers” ran their own drop. The splices were not those used by the local utility company.

Woo Hoo I win

This was an old 1923 Masonry building. They allow a ledger board if it is bolted through (which this was).

More pictures from this place. I called out the vents as too close (there were 8 of them, all in all) and many other things. On the whole, this was a pretty clean building, compared to what I normally see.

And, as far as the codies go, Chicago only has 14 now, for the whole city.

Da Mayor says that the responsibility to follow the codes is the contractors, not the city’s to enforce.

Silly, but he has a point.

What is that steel cable draped across the bolts on the ledger.

Do I win ?

1.Electric service not right.
2.Missing door flashings & finitions.

Beauchemin,Marc-Andre :slight_smile:

No, that was the service drop.

The 2nd defect I referenced was the grouping and heights of the furnace vents.

The doors were OK, the just framed them out poorly.

Thats not brick veneer

Yep, full masonry building, old Chicago quad wythe wall. Remember, from 1880 through 1930, there were very few frame houses and buildings built in Chicago. It is a, laregly, masonry city.

Something about a little fire we had in 1871.

Saw the service drop soon as I viewed the picture originally but I meant the steel cable going over the handrail.
Must be part of the messenger.

Michigan lumber rebuilt Chicago. A Significant portion was harvested from my area. Dams were built that still exist today. Logs could still be harvested from Hamlin Lake bottom that have been sunk since then. ( If the EPA allowed it) Ludington was a lumber baron town. Down Main Street are tall three story lumber mansions. About half of them have become Bed and Breakfasts. Laws still exist concerning day/week/hour rooms to rent (prostitution, for those of you that didnt get it)

We can still have hourly rates in Chicago ,though the womens temperance league types have been good at getting rid of many Motels on Lincoln ave.