Finding the AHJ

Originally Posted By: pdacey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m having trouble finding out who the AHJ for Bexar county TX would be. I have all of the information for inside San Antonio City limits but can’t find anything for out in the county.

I've spent the past hour on the phone with various county offices and no one can help me. I'm thinking there is no AHJ for the county.

Any ideas?

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Patrick,

Most likely, if you have one they would not be that hard to track down. In PA, we do our by town, so you have several different AHJ to deal with.

Did you call the township you live in?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Pat, you might have to go to each juridiction, San Antonio, Fair Oaks, Universial City, Balcone Hights, Alamo Hights, Converse, Leon Valley and so on. Or look up The County Commissioners.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Joe and Will,

Thanks for the replies. I just talked to a friend who used to be a builder and he told me that the area I'm looking at has no AHJ.

The reason I was asking is that I had a client call and ask if I would do a series of inspections on a house he was having built out in the county. I told him that I don't do phase inspections. I said I could do three quality control inspections, one after the slab is poured, one after the rough in and one after or near completion. He said that was fine. He just wanted someone that wasn't affiliated with the builder to keep an eye on things.

I just was trying to see if there were any building inspectors out in the county to do the phase inspections.

Thanks guys.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Patrick … if there are no AHJ’s in your area, then you might want to consider getting some additional training to do the construction phase inspections for buyers … icon_idea.gif

Jeff Remas and others could be helpful ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jremas

First things first, call your E&O insurance carrier and see if your “home inspection Policy” covers code inspections. It probably does not. The most important issues are: 1) what code the builder/owners contract specifies, 2) what the local or state building code is for where the construction takes place, 3) who is going to be responsible for issuing a C.O. when construction is done.

You may want to have your contract state that you are not there for code enforcement, that is not your responsibility. Make sure that your client knows there are limitations to your inspections and you cannot force a contractor to do anything they don't have to in their agreement. In the absence of a local AHJ things get a little sticky.

Your client might just need you for a punch list when the project is done and you can do a complete home inspection. There is a ton of liability when you say you are going to check for code violations. How do you know what the soil analysis is? Are you going to get certificates from the concrete manufacturer to verify quality and psi?, Will you be there for the foundation pour or block laying to verify rebar and grout in the verticals? Will someone else do the electrical code inspections?

the bottom line is that you must know where you stand, where the client stands and make sure that the client does not have expectations higher than what you can provide.

If the local area follows the BOCA 1999, you better be certified with BOCA for calling out violations. Lots to think about. take it slow.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

roconnor wrote:
Patrick ... if there are no AHJ's in your area, then you might want to consider getting some additional training to do the construction phase inspections for buyers ...

Thanks Robert. I'm looking into getting certified through the ICC.

jremas wrote:
You may want to have your contract state that you are not there for code enforcement, that is not your responsibility. Make sure that your client knows there are limitations to your inspections and you cannot force a contractor to do anything they don't have to in their agreement. In the absence of a local AHJ things get a little sticky.

Already done. I had a detailed conversation with the client over the weekend. I explained to him that out in the county there is no AHJ and that I am not inspecting for code violations. I summarized what exactly I was going to do and that I have no authority over the builder. He understands the situation. He's hiring me as more of a consultant than anything else. I sent him an agreement outlining what I am and am not going to do.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I really appreciate it.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636