Info for those that may need it.
[RIGHT][RIGHT] **The Independent Fire Code Specialist **- Protecting Your Interests [/RIGHT][/RIGHT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
Fire Code Changes
From time to time the Fire Code has new portions taking affect.This time a new portion comes into effect, pertaining to properties having a Fire Escape, and it comes into effect November 21, 2008
Fire escapes 18.104.22.168.
(1) Each fire escape used as an exit shall be in accordance with Articles 22.214.171.124., 126.96.36.199., 188.8.131.52. and 184.108.40.206. of the 1990 Building Code.
(2) Where a fire escape serves any storey above the second floor,
(a) doorway openings shall be protected with closures having a 20 min fire-protection rating and equipped with self-closing devices, and
(b) window openings shall be protected by
(i) closures having a 20 min fire-protection rating and that are fixed shut,
(ii) wired glass screens set in fixed steel frames,
(iii) glass block, or
(iv) listed steel shutters arranged to close automatically upon the operation of a fusible link,
where such openings are located within 3 m horizontally of, 3 storeys or 10 m below, or 1.8 m above, any balcony, platform or stairway of the fire escape.
(3) The fusible link referred to in Clause (2)(b)(iii) shall be in conformance with ULC-S505, “Standard for Fusible Links for Fire Protection Service”.
(4) The wired glass screens and glass block referred to in Clause (2)(b) shall be installed in conformance with Article 220.127.116.11. of the 1990 Building Code.
(5) Despite Sentence 18.104.22.168.(1), the owner need not comply with the requirements of Clause (2)(b) until November 21, 2008.
The requirements for doorway openings (2) (a) have always applied.
The requirements for window openings (2) (b) are new and take effect November 21, 2008.
You may wish to pass this on to your clients who have any dealings with buildings having a Fire Escape as part of the means of egress.
For further clarification of this requirement have them contact The Fire Guy:
Paul Schuster 905-884-4423
**For all your Retrofit needs remember The Fire Guy **
"Who is here protecting you from Fire and The Fire Departments"
[FONT=Times New Roman]For Your Clients[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Don’t Make the Most Expensive Mistake of Your Life - Call Me First![/FONT]