Fire safety - engineered wood

Sprinkler protection in a home works and there is no doubt about it. The ones fighting it are trying to make money on something.

http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/fire-sprinkler-facts:):smiley:

Marcel.
Nothing sickens me more than people willing to let others suffer to make a buck.

It may saves lives but have you ever tried to do a water intrusion clean up. If you want a sample as to what happens when you add water to drywall just look at all the homes in flood zones.:frowning:
The house is ruined so how can you say this is good.
Someone has to come up with a better spray that does not create damage for residential homes.

Think about a fire suppression, not a flood.

Each fire sprinkler in the system is designed to go off individually. The heat from a fire activates only the fire sprinkler directly above it. Water damage is minimal. In the case of more severe fires, where more than one fire sprinkler is activated, the water damage is much less than the fire damage would have been without the fire sprinkler system.

The average sprinkler only produces 15-25 gallons of water per minute, versus 150-250 gallons produced by a fire hose. In structures with fire sprinklers, the average property loss by fire is cut by one-half to two-thirds, and in some cases even more, than structures without. In most cases, structures without fire sprinklers are heavily or completely destroyed by the mix of fire and water damage caused by fire hoses.:slight_smile:

But were is the fun in it?:wink:

Yes Marcel 25gal per minute and zoned.
It is the official position of the U.S. Fire Administration that all Americans should be protected against death, injury, and property loss resulting from fire in their residences. All homes should be equipped with smoke alarms and automatic fire sprinklers, and families should prepare and practice emergency escape plans
http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/home_fire_prev/sprinklers/

Forgot a link.
http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/

Sure agree with the comments here. Sprinkler’s in dwelling unit’s? Probably not in my life time.
Think about smoke alarms. Like 50 year technology. Started out at $20-$50 each. Now just a few bucks. People still do not have them. Or they remove the battery, it keeps going off, wrong location placement. We are on to CO requirements. Required in 23 States.
In general, people do not think about these issues like inspector’s do. Most people feel they are safe and fire will not happen to them.
All of our inspection work is --bottom line–Life Safety. The codes and building design are supposed to be about life safety.
Nothing is 100%. The best fire rated safe structure with a Type 1A rating can still be a life hazard–aka–a plane flying into it with full fuel tanks.
Early detection is key.

I’ve been building homes for over 30 years, I have seen code changes out the ying yang along with various components and systems come and go.

With that said, I absolutely love engineered lumber. It has so many more advantages over conventional lumber…strength, conservation, nice and straight, greater spacing which equal less thermal transference thereby making a home more energy efficient, quicker to install, more stable, better nailing / hold power, less wood destroying insect issues…I can go on and on.

As to the so call fire issue…oh please… if your that worried about your home going up in flames then go live in a friken cave.

Most of the damage that exist during a fire is caused by the fireman putting the fire out with thousands of gallons of water… not the fire itself…yet you don’t have morons telling them not to use water because it will cause more damage…how about some common sense here.

The insurance companies, which directly influence our building codes, are simply looking at their bottom dollar without regard as to how some of these dumbarse codes or proposed codes adversely affect the building industry.

I am amazed at those who biotch about construction prices and yet are friken clueless why construction prices go up…can you say chicken little research initiated by insurance industry which is driving the cost up.

While I appreciate our firemen who go into a single family dwellings whose first priority is 1.) themselves, 2.) life of others and 3.) the property…common sense needs to be used; if the home is engulfed in flames then simply contain the spread from the outside. Depending on the various conditions, a home can be completely engulfed in 10 minutes…considering the time it takes to notify emergency personnel and their response time, then one can see that regardless what materials are used, it doesn’t take much time to gut a home… especially with many of the cheap track homes which have a nice open design.

In closing one should be more concerned about why fires start in the first place and address the issue at the source. (common sense)

1. dont smoke in bed
  2. dont leave a stove unattended while cooking
  3. dont leave flammables in your home or garage
  4. teach your kids not to play with matches etc.
  5. dont get drunk and too something stupid to cause a fire
  6. dont be a meth addict (if you live near one then shoot the sob)
  7. and the grand daddy…have your friken home annually inspected by a Nachi inspector.

friken problem solved.

Good post! I’m a little concerned about recommendation #7 since by a long shot, they all do not have your experience, knowledge and common sense!! (being able to be “certified” overnight leaves a lot to be desired!)

I watched a group of firemen arguing one day and dicussing how they were going to put out a fire. It took them so long I was going to start the job myself. I do agee about engineered wood being easier, quicker and even safer to use in contracting. If all would follow common practice of thinking safety first and then way over minimum code most of the buildings would be still standing.:smiley:

Pennsylvania opted to remove the residential sprinklers from the IRC. Because of the lightweight construction, builders must now install drywall over the engineered wood systems because of the quick burn characteristics.

Good to here Russel!:smiley:

What would you rather have rshuey1?:roll:
I would like zoned sprinklers myself.:slight_smile:
The eventuality of a fire is slight if you follow the fine examples given here.
The cost to life and limb are another matter when it comes to engineered joists.
Ask your local fire department.
By covering them with a barrier of gypsum or cement product is not enough to me.
Mr. Cyr left some very disturbing facts everyone should read.
http://http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/fire-sprinkler-facts

Also posts #21 and #24.

I am an ICC Certified Fire Inspector, which is my full time job. Of course I like the sprinkler systems. BUT, in a single family home? Not much sense as the 13D system doesn’t really protect anything anyway.

Can you elaborate on your point?

I never have understood the cost effectiveness of residential fire sprinklers especially when insurers offer meager discounts for having one.

Lots of interconnected smoke detectors are much cheaper and may/will sound before flame develops. In some homes, depending on the areas that have larger appliances, fireplaces, water heater, I recommend folks install as many as 5-6-7 interconnected, line-voltage detectors with battery back-up. In these home, 3 interconnected detectors would meet current codes!!

Certainly. A 13D system which is designed for one and two family only, is installed in a manner to give the occupants 8-10 minutes of escape time. Really, that’s it. Unlike a traditional NFPA 13 system, the 13D system does not get installed in small spaces, attics, etc. The 13D system does not really protect your property.

I recommend installation of hard-wired, interconnected smoke detectors in every sleeping room, outside every sleeping room and a minimum of 1 per floor including basements and attics.

Thank you Russell.