Fire

The garage was the origination… in particular toward the right rear.
Because the danger that exist when the second floor collapsed, followed by moving any evidence with a track hoe in the next week… it will be difficult to determine the exact cause.

I have over 100 pictures however much of those pictures deal with detailing construction materials used. I will try to insert some more later in the next few days.

Today is a full day behind the computer with doing an inspection report on the house I did yesterday that was built in 1845 (I thought it was 46) and getting my report and estimate to the insurance company on the above noted fire… but I am not complaining considering its 19 degrees outside. :slight_smile:

Jeff

Yep, thats what I suspect.

The V is under the steps but in close proximity to a wood burning fireplace.
I could not get under the steps to see if there were any flammable containers…but yes, that is what I suspect.

The reason I feel the house was not engulfed was because the garage / game room was an addition built in 1989… therefore it had a double wall with both being insulated. The fact that the shingles were not curled (plus there were at least 2 - 3 layers of same) and the response by the FD would account for the house not being a total loss although off the top of my head it will be well over 100,000 in damages.

As to why the floor gave way, I have a sneakin suspicion about how it was fastened… I will see if I can get pictures of it before I tear it down.

Thanks Jeff, good topic to talk about and understanding how something happened is always a benifet to all. :slight_smile:

Yes Jeff it was very interesting. Even though not home inspection it is good to know how it started and what happened. Keep us updated. And it will be appreciated for more pictures if you can . Great topic !