Fireproofing Over Heating Systems

Originally Posted By: jsavino
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Code Call

Does any one know the code for fireproofing over a heating system in the basement. I have come across a few systems that are FP and some that are not.

Thanks

John

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I know in most jurisdictions around hear their must be two layers of listed drywall and all penetrations must be caulked with firestop. This of course is only seen in newconstruction.

Also, when looking in these areas, check for fire sprinkler systems. Make sure the sprinkler installed is for high heat areas. Usually it has a yellow glass bulb as opposed to a red one. These should be the only kind installed here and in any attic areas.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Daniel

I have seen the drywall on some like I said.On Long Island, I believe only one townships code call for sprinklers on new installation of heating systems in older homes along with drywall. The sprinklers were in the water main above the boiler. Installed were a 1/2’ sweat fitting and a 1/2" IPS sprinkler head. Inexpensive way to protect you home, and I could see a very effective way. Their are rated at 155 degrees. The little glass bulb will pop, and out comes the water.

John