Firewall question

Originally Posted By: bnelson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In the attached two-car garage I just inspected, there was a proper firewall between the garage space and living space, and on the garage ceiling as well. There was no firewall in the attic, however, and the attic access hatch was 1/4 plywood only. Will replacing the plywood with 5/8" 'rock alone satisfy the firewall requirement? If it matters, I live in NW Washington state.

Thanks y'all!
Brandon

Originally Posted By: bnelson

I should mention that yes, the attic access WAS in the garage space.

Brandon

Originally Posted By: dbush

Brandon, that is very typical, but wrong. They make a metal cover that will also go over the bottom of the access hatch if it is dropdown stairs that you are talking about. If it is not dropdown stairs that you are referring to, then yes you can change the size of the hatch opening.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: aleleika

dbush wrote:
Brandon, that is very typical, but wrong. They make a metal cover that will also go over the bottom of the access hatch if it is dropdown stairs that you are talking about. If it is not dropdown stairs that you are referring to, then yes you can change the size of the hatch opening.

Dave

Dave,

Where can you get a metal cover for drop down stairs? And is that the only fix for attic acces in garage with drop down stairs or is there anything else to be done with these for the proper "Firewall" rating from garage to attic?

--
A. Dan Leleika
www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

How much does the client want to spend? You can install a fire wall in the attic.

http://www.codecheck.com/pg09_10building.html#fb21wallassembly

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello