FL Mold Assessor and Remediator CE Course

during an inspection of the home for odd odors, the inspection of the evaporator coil revealed some substantial growth and dirt along with an “odd” smell’

ac mold.jpg

The HVACsystem needs to be turned off during the mold remediation process. We do notwant to stir up the mold any more than we need to while cleaning up theexisting mold. Airborne mold is a health hazard to those performing theremediation.

heat pump.jpg

08-31-2016
Mold Assesment
123 Happy Place Lane, Moonshine Florida

Purpose of visit: Cleint complains of a must odor in her bathroom.
Upons arrival to the inspection site, Mr. Bubutt wasprovided pre-inspection contract.
The client accepte terms of inspection and accepted terms with and by her signature.

Upon first observations of the suspect bathroom, it becameplainly apparent that there is a misture intrusion issue at the front left sideface of the bathtub. Surface of drywall adjacent to this area was probed withmoisture meter and read in the high 80% ranges.
There is also plaily visiable and notable heavy blackstaining (however no growth is present) where it appears that shower water runoff has damaged the drywall outside the shower area.
This area represents approximatly 1 sq. foot of area, which does not requireprofessional remediation.
The clietn has been advised to take the followingaction;

1. Adjust the shower head away from the outer eddge of thebathtub
  2. Install tub side water shields to deflect shower waterover spray back into the tub
  3. Remove the affected drywall and replace all wteedinsulation and drywall with new product.

This picture and write up is for the requirements in the “Florida Mold Assessor & Remediator CE Course”. I choose this image from a past inspection as it shows mold growing on a window sill. The home was left vacant for several months in hot, rainy, weather without any power to the home. The owner thought the air conditioning was running and helping to remove moisture from the home. Without the HVAC working, excess moisture along with hot and humid conditions created a perfect environment for mold growth.

Air Handler

The photo is of an attic-mounted air handler of one zone ina large home. You will see the entireair handler which can be significant in controlling moisture in the home.
In particular you will see the white PVC condensate drainpipe to remove de-humidification from the house air. You will note that the pipe drains into adrip pan at the base of the unit, which in turn, trains to the exterior.
This system is an essential part oi reducing interior moisture,which in turn will reduce the likelihood on mold formation within thestructure.

Picture of apparent Mall it is visible and it is on the caulking around the tub and shower area it is also black in color you would think if you just cut that caulking out that it could just be okay but I can see that it goes beyond just doing that…

This picture is from a past inspection and the intended use is for the Florida mols assessor course. Here in a closet in a lower level condo is surface mold present. The cause is moisture or leak above. I recommend repairs or corrections in the scope of the water leak and possible removal and replacing drywall.

Surface mold is visible on the subfloor and floor joist in the crawlspace under the kitchen sink. A swab sample was collected and submitted to the lab for analysis. Moisture readings on the subfloor were above 20% due to a plumbing leak under the kitchen sink. i9.jpg

Water Damage

When looking for water damage a sign of this would be discolored areas on the ceiling tile. If you find what appears to be a water stain on the ceiling tile you should further investigate the flooring below the stain ,the roof sheathing and roof covering above the stain. While looking for any defects in these components also be aware that this may be a potential area of concern for mold. If mold is present be prepared to alert the home owner and to wear appropriate PPE during the remainder of the inspection.

Hi Everyone,

Here is a classic case moisture intrusion that I came across when I was a contractor. I was doing work for a large apartment complex in Wisconsin. Many of the residents where complaining about leaking windows, and especially leaking patio doors.

There were obvious signs of moisture intrusion and mold growth and just entering the effected units the smell of moisture intrusion of obvious.

When I removed the siding and house wrap this is the condition that I found (on literally 90% of the doors and windows in the complex) When the contractor built the building they did not you flashing on anything !! Every component of the structure was installed incorrectly or as was the case of the flashing, was not installed at all.

Fortunately, the entire project was covered by the buildings owners insurance. The entire remediation project took me over 4 years !!

Roof penetrations like chimney flues are typical places to check for roof leaks. Flashing may have been improperly installed or heat has dried the seals. Water leaks add excessive moisture on ceiling materials, insulation and roof decking that will lead to mold growth.

The photo shown is a project I had when I was a contractor. The incorrect installation of the corner trim of this home, created a funnel path or entry of rain water. The contractor had installed the house wrap correctly. Installation of all the windows were correct including the flashing. During the initial remodel the mistakes were made. The home had obvious mold, and once the investigation proceeded structural components were found to be saturated and replacement was required. Every thing matters when constructing a well built home.

In this picture we can see the drywall was damaged due to high humidity in that room. Air scrubbers were placed in the work area, doors, windows and a/c vents were sealed off with 6 mill plastic. As part of the remediation we wore disposable suits and respirators and sprayed mold disinfectant using an airless sprayer. The damaged drywall was removed, bagged and taped up. Then a HEPA vacuum was used to pick up the drywall debris. The metal stubs were wiped down and encapsulated.

The site is a modest, beach-front, two story townhouse of approximately twenty years or older vintage. The home had been the subject of a water heater leak within the previous week. The home was dried out within approximately 48 hours. Dehumidifier and air filtration devices were still deployed and operating during the inspection. Mr. Morales noted the water heater drain pan was full of water and there was moisture under the carpet pad at the inside corner by the stairs.

The interior humidity, measured by sling psychrometer, was approximately 90%. The water in the heater pan and the water under the pad were the probable culprits of the high humidity.

Surface mold contamination were visible to Mr. Morales on the water heater closet base boards and the carpet beside the base board, some on the closet door and on the baseboard by the stairs. These were new colonies, surficial, and not indicative of a long-term or extensive mold problem. With permission from the owner, Mr. Morales performed minor intrusive inspection by removing the most impacted baseboard. Mr. Morales looked in the wall cavity and at backside of the baseboard and dry wall. Surface mold had started on the baseboard, minor spotting had begun on the framing.

The amount of mold observed was minor (Level I per the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Bureau of Environmental & Occupational Disease Epidemiology, “Guidelines on Assessment and Remediation of Fungi in Indoor Environments” - aka “New York Protocol”).

Hi,

Moisture can move in and out of a home in many different ways. Some, most people won’t even think of. In these pics you see a bathroom vent fan duct that runs over to the soffit, but does not vent outside. The other pic shows all of the moisture that is being vented to an enclosed screenroom from a dryer in the winter. Most people do not realize how much water vapor comes out of these ducts and vents. Over time and under the right conditions this moisture collects on building materials in attics or rooms and mold begins to grow and consume the building products. In some cases this becomes a health concern for the occupants. It is very important that these items vent to the outer envelope of the home.

Florida Mold Assessor & Remediator Continuing Education Essay

Mold as spores can settle on a roof outdoors. The tar in asphalt shingles and blue-green algae are a good food source for mold. The spores survive best on northern exposures of roofs where the morning dew appears and moisture dries out last. Any excessive mold growth needs to be taken care of.

roof mold 1.JPG

The item that was identified and or inspected was under the kitchen sink where the dishwasher line entered in to the “sink cabinet”. The cabinet shows obvious signs of water damage. The moisture reading was below 20% which indicates that there is not a strong chance of mold growth. It would be recommended that the area is checked periodically.

The article read was in reference to Mold, moisture in the home.
The key to controlling mold is to control moisture within the home.
Before any remediation can take place you have to find the source and eliminate the reason for the excessive moisture.
Mold can cause health problems as they produce allergens.
It is impossible to get rid of all mold spores indoors.

This is an image of a HEPA Air Exchanger. This air exchanger is rated for 1000 to 2000 CFM. What is interesting and something the lead remediator should know about this unit is that the CFM rating depends on the HEPA filter that is used in the unit. So, if you choose this unit make sure you measure your CFM and stick with the HEPA filter you choose. The cost is around $1000.00.

I read the “Moisture Intrusion” article. I live in Southwest Florida. During home inspections I have found the common moisture intrusion areas to be, poor roof installations, leaking plumbing, and kitchen water filter failures.

During one roof inspection I stepped onto a small side section of roofing and found it quite spongy. The roof met a vertical wall but the roof construction made it a valley. We found that the valley did not have the proper underlayment size, step flashing, and counter flashing.

With a little sheathing replacement, felt, and flashing the water intrusion problem was repaired.