FL Mold Assessor and Remediator CE Course

Moisture control is the key to mold control. Molds need both food and water to survive; since molds can digest most things, water is the factor that limits mold growth. Molds will often grow in damp or wet areas indoors. Common sites for indoor mold growth include bathroom tile, basement walls, areas around windows where moisture condenses, and near leaky water fountains or sinks.

This is a photo of a ground floor cabana (beachside) that shows visible mold growth and water intrusion. The sliding glass doors are not waterproof and as such have let rainwater in over a period of time elevating the indoor moisture levels. In addition, the interior walls and floors are finished with drywall which is rated for indoor use, but this cabana has NO HVAC system installed. So this owner needs physical remedation, air treatment, moisture intrusion repairs and installation of a HVAC system and/or replacement of drywall with an exterior rated product.

The moisture intrusion article has taught me that this time of condition can occur for a few reasons such as roof leaks, water leaks or HVAC systems not functioning properly. It also states the elevated moisture conditions can and often do lead to mold issues and while most people will not be significantly affected by moderate levels of mold some immune deficient people can be significantly affected. In any case all moisture intrusion and mold issues should be attended to.

Assesors XSPECTPRO must become.:smiley:

Taking extreme steps to properly protect yourself and contain effected area by mold is the most important process. In the areas larger than 10 to 100 sq ft full body suites and n95 respirators should me worn. In addition, the space should be completely sealed and exhaust fans with HEPA filters and exhausting outside should be implemented.

Prevention of mold growth should start with prevention of moisture movement into the building as well as humidity control. Moisture control can include major defects like repair of leaky roofs to something as simple as repairing window sills. Humidity can be controlled by lessening the amount of plants there is in the house to letting an exhaust fan run for at least 30 min after each shower.

Mold remediation can be as simple as cleaning walls with detergent and water or as extensive as removing drywall. The important thing is to identify the repair the cause then completely dry and remove contaminated areas. Always wear the appropriate PPE. Something as simple as a dust mask or as extreme as full body suit with full face respirator. Always wear what is right for the job.

As a home inspector I do not like finding mold like substances. Locating the cause mold is just the beginning. Taking a proper sample is very important so you know what your dealing with. After determining that you are in fact dealing with mold its very important to make sure you get a knowledgeable remediator that performs quality work

Loose ridge cap on a roof are a big hazard like a potentially projectile during a wind storm and also is a big water intrusion window to the waterproof roof barrier or protection. Walk over a roof is not required for a home inspector but in the case thet the inspector do it, safety concerns must be considered.

Critical requirements for mold growing.
There are 4 critical requirements for mold growth available mold spores, available mold food, appropriate temperatures and considerable moisture. The removal of any one of these items will prohibit mold growth. Mold needs food to growth. If all three other requirements are met, almost any substance that contains carbon atoms (organic substance) will provide sufficient nutrients to support mold growth.

The inspection of roofs and rooftop elements is limited to readily visible and accessible elements as listed herein; elements and areas concealed from view for any reason cannot be inspected.
Note: Roof has been replaced 2 years ago, recommend obtaining any documentation, warranties and/or guarantees for any possible future needs.

Dishwasher appliance functional at the time of inspection.
Note: One cycle at normal settings is what is performed on standard inspections and a visual check of other accessible components. Dishwashers are tested to see if the motor operates and water sprays during cycle. No representation is made to the continued life expectancy or efficiency of appliance. Older units and/or units that have not been operated for some period of time may not show leakage or other conditions or concerns at time of inspection. Dishwashing/cleaning adequacy and soap dispenser function were not evaluated. This is a high maintenance item. Seal leaks may develop after vacancy or other inactive periods. Client should monitor unit in the future.

Interesting discussion Check back later

This is a picture of mold growth caused by a humidity bloom. Excess humidity can result in this yellow like growth. Humidity blooms are very common in our area of South Florida. Humidity blooms should be professionally remediated by a licensed mold remediator.

This is a picture of a humidity bloom. Humidity blooms are very common in south florida and should be remediated by a professional remediator. Many times a simple HEPA vacuum, wipe down, and air scrubbers will be sufficient. Other times it becomes more invasive where building materials and even personal contents must be disposed.

Gutters are recommended at all appropriate roof slopes around the entire perimeter of the home to channel and direct rainwater away from the structure, to promote foundation health, and to reduce moisture-related deterioration of under-eave wood structures, such as soffits and fascia boards, as well as splash-back moisture damage to doors and frames. Lack of proper gutters is also a major factor in the development of the green algae that develops in humid climates. In order to do their job properly, gutter downspouts should have splash blocks or flexible downspout extensions to prevent ponding, puddling and splash-back near the foundation.

This photo was taken in a condo that I was called upon to conduct a mold assessment. The condo had extensive water damage from Hurricane Irma. But it was also apparent that the current occupant was not a good house keeper (to put it kindly). I believeit is best to identify all potential causes of mold growth, even when the owner pressures me to blame it all on a hurricane. Do not become a co-conspirator in insurance fraud.

In addition to the recommendations in the image titled Bathroom Fan Venting the location of the fan in the bathroom is important. In large homes I often find bathroom ventilation fans located in a water closet removed by several feet from a tub and/or shower. I recommend that my clients seriously consider adding a fan near the tub or shower to better control indoor humidity.

I seen this in a mobile home and found that floor had mold on in and under carpet I let the buyer know that it is a problem and can be a problem for health issues and needs to be taken care of before anyone moves in.

I live in a state where moisture and humidity is high. So here we do have to watch for mold. Just because you can’t see the problem out in the opening. We use our nose to locate a problem and sometimes have to look in the most often overlook places. I ask people if they know what is the worst enemy to is? They say termites or carpenter bees and ants i tell them no it’s WATER. I explain why they understand it better.