Fl SOP Draft

Then do something else.:smiley:

The wheels are a turning. Just have not figured out what or how yet.

There is an opportunity to make many comments there. :stuck_out_tongue: I wish the the best in what ever you do though.

Thanks.

And a copy of your state certification!

Does anyone know if in your contract they are stated and they sign saying they have viewed it if that will be sufficient?

Just a thought for those looking at Wind Mits and 4-Points in regards to the SOP - If you are thinking that the SOP applies to these inspections - then you are asking that each Wind Mit or 4-Point performed would entail a FULL INSPECTION - Why would you want to associate the SOP with these inspections?

We will have fun with this!

61-30.808, 4.E Inspector is NOT required to inspect appliances

61-30.810 SOP FOR inspecting appliances!
Guess it is our choice.
:twisted:

William, I also noted that as well as other inconsistencies. I hope they get cleaned up before the final version is in place.

Yes, there are a few areas that need to be cleaned up.

It is why it is part of my report.
The way it is set up, I add the clients information, make a pdf of the pages, then add a signature box and send it to them.
I believe the law states you have to send it to them prior to the inspection.
The e mail, which I save is proof.

Great find William.

That is why they are put out for review. I forwarded your find to Wayne Bertsch.

Thanks

I have the following suggestions:

30.810 provides the HI will inspect household appliances. 30.808, (4)(e) excludes appliances. I vote for 808(4)(e), the HI is NOT REQUIRED to inspect household appliances. If the HI wants to inspect them, fine but they should not be a mandated protocol as they are subjective, certainly most HI’s don’t know any more than the light came on and an HI can not do nothing but recommend they call an appliance repairman. Has nothing to do with the performance of the home. For the record I routinely exclude them unless the HO can not be present.

30.812 provides the HI will inspect grading, surface drainage and retaining walls when they can adversely affect the structure. It is easy to point out the lot should slope away from the structure; it is not easy to determine how a retaining wall may affect drainage without modeling the site or perhaps witnessing sheet flow during a major storm event. Even stating the lot should slope away from the structure leaves the HI open to criticism should surface drainage enter the home - we do not model drainage and there should be absolutely no protocol for site drainage or retaining walls. How can you inspect a retaining wall anyway? It looks solid or it doesn’t? Does it have tie-backs? How do you know? Is the footer deep enough, is it thick enough to support adjacent soils? What about if the soils are wet? Point is, anything more than a photo of a broken retaining wall is pure speculation by an unqualified person. This is engineering and this entire section needs to be deleted. Sounds like ASHI to me anyway.

General point. Since someone decided to push an SOP and looks like we will get one, the SOP says if it is present, we inspect it. 30-802 (11)© does allow for exclusions if agreed upon by the inspector and client. I don’t know about you, but I charge extra to inspect fireplaces and decks. Many times I do not know they are present until I arrive as the REA or buyer can’t remember. Just for grins, I quote a price which does not include a fp or deck, get there and find out they are there. The client has duly downloaded their agreement, reviewed it and signed it. The SOP says I must inspect regardless of whether the client agrees to pay extra. Its a play on words and I propose the wording be amended. Decks, fireplaces, appliances, retaining walls, site drainage should be ancilliary items which may be added into the SOP if agreed between the inspector and client. This is more important than many of you may think at first glance and I encourage you to think about it.

My 2cents. Saw the date of this was July 2010 - where has it been?

(f) The test shower pans, tub and shower surround for leakage.

All kinds of screwed up aint it :slight_smile:

Mike,

I truly hope the next version of your State’s law prohibits one who inspects a home from offering to perform a repair on the subject dwelling. A comprehensive Standard of Practice is a valid first step toward this end.

The law was changed last year. No repairs on any home you inspect.

Why are you telling me your hopes and such?

How low will you go Michael?

Or does the 10th customer never happen?

Lower than that sometimes.

With 7000 new competitors it can be tough for sure. Add a asinine new form created by idiots and it gets real difficult to make a profit.