Flaking

Originally Posted By: dmacy
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/4/46505_Solon_003_Small.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/4/46505_Solon_004_Small.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: lleesch

Here in Texas, we sometimes see the Mexican Clay brick do this. It does it mostly because it is cheap junk. But, it usually only does it on a side of the house that seldom sees much sunlight and seemingly stays damp. Replacement is not necessary as the brick can be stained to match the existing. We have several places here that make a living out of staining the clay brick we have here. Really looks great when they get finished and they warrant the finish for the life of the brick. Can’t say for sure that it equates to your problem unless you also are getting the Mexican Clay brick up there.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

i know this is an old thread, but i was board. looks to me like the brick work was recently repaired and what you see is newer “instant” morter that’s not the same mix as the original (looks like not enough portlan).in any case the repair will likely fail before the rest of the original work. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

If I am not mistaken, this is a Citadel Brick, Manufactured in Revere Du Lou, Quebec. I remember this brick in visiting the plant and houses in that area in the 70's.

This brick is very permeable and would cause this flaking if not sealed with a brick sealer.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

not sealing may have caused it to need re-pointing in the first place. looks like harry re-mortared himself and wiped it with a sponge???could be right?? eusa_think.gif

I just blew up the pic and i can see were possible new mortar meets old.

Pretty obiouse where someon actually repoint the bricks, it is not the same color.

Needs fixing, right?

Marcel

i know it’s not SOP, but i’m curios. how would a mason “fix” it. does he chisle out the hack job and re-point with required mix??? i’m not calling you out marcel, but you seem to know more about it than i, and the only questions that don’t get aswered are those that are not asked. icon_cool.gif

Jay, I appreciate you coming back and asking.

The cleanest fix would be for a mason to come and repoint the joints using a tuck pointing grinder and re-mortar the joints to it's original state using what they call dry joint mortar, and I forget who the manufacturer is.

Once this is done, a clean brick sealing compound should be applied liberally to the brick surface using a product called Sheild M, which I believe is made by ConProco., but not sure. I usually just pick up the phone and call these technical experts that are trying to sell these products to solve you problems. You then go from there.
The spalled bricks cannot be repaired unless taken out and replace.
So, if the buyer chooses to have it fixed, that is the procedure.
Hope this helps.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: jkormos

cheap bricks,moisture, freeze thaw cycles

yes. very helpful. thanx alot. now i won’t sound like a masonary idiot. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dlott

jkormos wrote:
cheap bricks,moisture, freeze thaw cycles

I agree. My chimeny does this because of the moisture/freeze condition.

I just wish my golden retriever didn't think the flakes were doggie treats. ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)