Flashlight & Screwdriver

Originally Posted By: roconnor
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How many of you guys/gals could actually do a basic home inspection with just a flashlight and screwdriver?

How dependent have you become on specialized equipment to the point where you have lost (or never been taught) to use your senses and instincts to pick up issues?

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: slanicek

What specialized equipment, exactly?

I for one couldn't do it with just a flashlight and screwdriver. Stacked on top of each other is maybe 12 inches, tops, and that aint gonna help me up on no roof ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: dbowers

My emergency kit in case my regular tool kit got ripped of or left behind is: (1) a mag light; (2) a GFCI tester; (3) a 6-in-1 screwdriver; (4) a pocket sized pair of Bushnel Binoculars; and (4) a telescoping mirror.

Although I like my other gadgets (especially my electric screwdiver - can't remember how I got by without one until they got invented) - I have done complete inspections with the above 4 items.

Dan Bowers, CRI

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Correct the last post and make it 5 goodies.

Originally Posted By: Chris Norman

Robert,

Great question and I respect the spirit of it! Don't trust my instinct as my instinct is to go fishing.

Your'e right, a guy who knows what he is doing doesn't usually have to rely on alot of gizmos. I think they often are for show or the inspector is a victim of a marketing ploy. We use our eyes more than anything!

Steve, great comeback! Try a longer screwdriver and flashlight. I can sell you 3 foot models of each and if stood on end you can reach roof no problem. Of course they come with disclaimers.

You guys are great,
Chris

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob O,

Since I am not all that smart of an inspector, I tend to use my instincts a lot. I still have the bells and whistles for the marketing side of the sale.

I don't really have equipment that technical, like other inspectors. The equipment that I do have, just makes my life a little easier, or makes the inspection go a little quicker. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

For instance, I have a Klein 10 in 1 screwdriver and I also have the B & D angled versa driver. Both get the job done but the versa driver gets it done without much physical effort, unless the battery goes dead, then I go back to the Klein, which is shorter and lighter.

I don't think that kind of equipment will ruin your instincts, just inspectors tend to use only one of the senses (eyes) to perform inspections. Most don't really become better inspectors until they learn to use all of the senses. For instance, when I come across a pipe coming up from the ground for no apparent reason, I yell down it, something like hello down there! People look at me like I am nuts but if you listen and the pipe is connected to another pipe, the sound will carry, if not, the sound will deaden almost instantly as you speak it. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Eyes are an important part of our job, but your other senses can help you tremendously. Next time you do an inspection make a mental note of what sense you are using when you find issues, you will be surprised either by your lack of use of your other senses or by your unawareness of how many of your other senses you use.

Hope that helps answer your question!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I just carry the same basic tools I’ve had for the past almost ten years. Screwdriver, flashlight, ladder, circuit tester, water pressure gauge and thermometer. I have added an amp clamp since we’re exclusively electric heat around here. I keep a set of binoc’s in the truck in case I can’t get on the roof.

I guess that makes me a dinosaur.....with instincts. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: roconnor

slanicek wrote:
I for one couldn't do it with just a flashlight and screwdriver. Stacked on top of each other is maybe 12 inches, tops, and that aint gonna help me up on no roof ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Very true ... but I wouldn't walk a sloped roof that is wet or has a little snow on it ... and forget about a steeper tile roof ...

I think it would be VERY challenging to do a decent basic inspection with just a flashlight and screwdriver. I think you guys get where I was going with this, and I was just curious what kind of reaction people would have to just being handed a flashlight and screwdriver to do an inspection ... ... I also have a similar list of basic tools ... CLICK HERE

jmyers wrote:
I don't think that kind of equipment will ruin your instincts, just inspectors tend to use only one of the senses (eyes) to perform inspections. Most don't really become better inspectors until they learn to use all of the senses.

I tend to really agree with Joe, and I think he hit the nail right on the head ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Zippo and a Leatherman here!

Mike P.