Flat roofs and Tower Hill

FYI

Tower Hill won’t write policies if ANY portion of the structure is flat.

My understanding of that is they only will not write policies if the flat roof is over enclosed space - if only over a patio or porch no problem.

the dumb asses will not know when filling out the new wind mit form as flat only matters and is noted in multi unit dwellings.

Do not ever give more info than is needed. NO FLUFF. IT ALMOST ALWAYS SCREWS YOUR CLIENT :frowning:

Prime example of why.

No offense Mike but the underwriters use google earth, google maps etc to view the home now. No fluff is needed.

Murph…your right, should’ve said that

I’m never offended.

I ASSUME they just go by what is written. I could be wrong and have been before :slight_smile:

:shock::shock:Big Brother is watching you!;-):wink:

Tower Hill also uses millennium services who contract picture takers to go and take pictures of homes they insure. Most likely if you are going out on a wind mitigation for a Tower Hill policy they already know what the house looks like in addition to google earth. Best thing you can do is keep it real without offering up anymore than you have to.

Good advice as that is the best practice.

What about a screened porch flat roof that is structurally attached to the main roof, which would be disclosed on a WM? Or is this strictly the aluminum structures (non attached) that are not covered anyway with carriers like Citizens.

Do you want someone telling you what inspections to do or what roofs to walk on or what crawlspaces to go in?

I can not blame and insurance company for avoiding covering a flat roof. As a builder I will not build one either. Most of it is for the same reasons. I just did a consultation with a client about an addition, where finding a way to add-on without using a flat or low slope roof was the primary concern. The client should always have a discussion about insurance with their agent BEFORE buying a home(probably even looking for a home).

Who are we to determine what a company should risk? Who are we to determine what they should cover? Are those not questions for the OIR? The OIR has meetings and discussions about these topics and they even have reasons on why companies can do what they do. If you are concerned you should address them with the OIR or the agent/underwriter forums. The uneducated comments only make inspectors look bad.

I case you did not know I “cherry pick” inspections, there are certain houses I will not inspect, unless there is a larger sum of money involved. There are agents that we charge more to because we know there is going to be issues. It is just business and nothing personal with the buyer or seller, as a businessman I have to cover my predicted costs. Sound familiar? I have actually quoted inspections higher because I thought the client was going to be difficult to deal with and then after a smooth inspection charged them less.

I do not want anyone telling me how to run my business and I should not tell anyone how to run theirs. If you really do not want to pay the insurance company then you should self insure.
Just some food for thought.

Always figure in the “aggregation factor” on proposals! I suggest this to all my subs, when working with me. LOL